* Friends! The Musical! parody will open off-Broadway this fall
* From the writers of 90210! The Musical! and Katdashians! The Musical!
* Ticket sales start in June
Nostalgic fans of NBC’s classic sitcom Friends are in for a treat this fall, as the Huffington Post reports that a Friends musical parody is slated to open this fall at the off-Broadway Triad Theatre.
Friends! The Musical! is the latest work from pop culture parody writers Bob and Tobly McSmith, whose previous works include 90210! The Musical!, Katdashians! The Musical!, and a Saved by the Bell parody Bayside! The Musical!
The song titles alone suggest that 30-something Gen-Y’ers can expect to relive the best moments from the series, which ended its 10-year run in 2004:
- “The Only Coffee Shop in New York City”
- “45 Grove Street – How Can We Afford This Place?”
- “How you Doing, Ladies?”
- “Hey Ugly Naked Guy Who Lives Across the Street!”
- “We were on a Break!”
- “I’m Gonna Hump U”
- “Oh. My. God. It’s Janice!”
- “Will They or Wont They”
- “The Ballad of Fat Monica”
- “Could I BE Anymore…..in Love with Monica”
- “The One Where We Make a Million Dollars An Episode”
- “We’ll Always Be There For You”
While it will be great to watch some of our favorite TV characters navigate love and life in 1990s Manhattan, it’s worth pointing out that the show’s premise could never work today. Nana Geller’s rent-controlled apartment aside, how on Earth could a paleontologist, a chef, a coffee shop waitress (turned fashion buyer), a street musician, an out-of-work actor, or a data analyst ever afford to live in the West Village?
No date has been set for opening night. Tickets go on sale this June. Stay tuned for more details.