A countertop ice maker is the best way to ensure you have plenty of cold cubes ready for a consistent flow of beverages. If there are multiple people living at home or you’re a fan of hosting gatherings, it’s unlikely your refrigerator’s built-in ice maker can keep up with your ice demand.
The balancing act of traditional ice trays can be messy, and the race against melting with store-bought ice isn’t great either. Having a countertop ice maker is the best way to ensure your ice requirements are efficiently met without getting wet.
When choosing the best countertop ice maker for your home, there are some key features to consider to ensure you’re getting the right model for your household. Here are a few of them:
- Capacity – As with all pieces of kitchen equipment, ice makers come in different sizes. Have a think about how much ice you’re going to need and whether you should opt for one of the smaller or larger machines. More ice will generally mean the device requires more countertop space. For a happy medium, look for a maker with a capacity of around 1.8 liters, which can store up to 80 cubes.
- Speed – Instant ice would be great, but it’s not realistic. However, under six minutes is possible with certain machines, and under 10 minutes is possible with most. This means your countertop ice maker should be comfortably making between 24 and 27 pounds per day (as long as you empty the basket once it’s full each time).
- Noise – Ice makers are not the quietest machines, but they don’t need to be the loudest either. Look for a maker with a decibel reading of 50 or under to avoid interfering with any conversations.
- Cubes – Bullet cubes are the most common type of ice made by countertop machines. Some makers will give you the option of small cubes, which usually measure 0.8 by one inch or large cubes at one by 1.2 inches. There are also nugget and sonic ice alternatives, but you’ll need to expand your wallet a little further for these cube additions.
One of the best things about countertop ice makers is their self-cleaning capabilities. They also generally come with an ice basket and scoop to make sure you have everything you need to get started. No installation is required, so it really is as simple as plug and go.
A countertop ice maker is one of the best investments you can make for your kitchen. It will only take one family dinner, summer BBQ or bumped head to know you made the right decision. To help with the selection process, we’ve rounded up the eight best countertop ice makers available online.
1. IKICH Portable Ice Maker
The silver IKICH Portable Ice Maker is one of the best reviewed ice makers available on Amazon with over 6,000 reviews and a 4.5-star rating. It’s well-made, user-friendly and modestly priced. Once plugged in and powered on, the machine will get to work producing nine pieces of ice in under six minutes. Plus, with a maximum noise level of 45 decibels, this is one of the quietest machines around.
2. Kismile Countertop Ice Maker
Grab yourself a chilly bargain with the Kismile Countertop Ice Maker. For just over $100, you can be the owner of this quality countertop ice maker. It has all the most desired features, such as indicator lights, a self-cleaning mode and two options for ice size. All of this can easily be operated by the user-friendly LED control panel. At only 17 pounds in weight, this is one of the lightest machines in our round-up. It’s also available in four different color variations, including red, white and black.
3. FINVIE Portable Ice Maker
BEST FOR VIEWING
Watch in awe as the FINVIE Portable Ice Maker is hard at work producing nine pieces of bullet ice in under 10 minutes. The large, top-viewing panel allows you to see exactly what’s happening inside the machine as your ice is made. The angular machine measures 8.7 by 12.6 by 13 inches and weighs just over 17 pounds. An advanced compressor is installed to enhance the ice creation and to dampen any noise from the machine, too. That gives you speedy ice with minimal noise and maximum viewing enjoyment.
4. Crownful Countertop Ice Maker
The Crownful Countertop Ice Maker offers a simple, one-button operation. A short press of the button will power the machine into action, whereas a long press will put into action the seven-minute cleaning process. The silver metallic exterior with a black top has both a viewing window on top and a side fan vent incorporated along with the Crownful logo printed across the front. An ice basket and scoop are included, both of which are made of white plastic. Every order is covered by a 12-month warranty along with lifetime support from Crownful.
5. AGLUCKY Countertop Ice Maker
There’s something rather retro-looking about the AGLUCKY Countertop Ice Maker. The combination of its deep red metallic exterior combined with the white rim and vintage-style fan cover make it a sure hit in any diner-inspired kitchen. Aside from its awesome appearance, this machine can produce nine cubes of ice in under eight minutes. That’s up to 26.5 pounds a day. It features five indicator lights across the top panel and is also available in black or silver.
6. TRUSTECH Countertop Ice Maker
TRUSTECH takes pride in its countertop ice maker, which is able to produce nine cubes in under six minutes. The machine can be controlled with its user-friendly two-button system. It has four indicator lights integrated into the control panel which show when water is required, when the ice bucket is full and whether you have small or large ice selected. Once you’ve hit your ice target for the day, the self-cleaning feature of the machine will take care of the clean-up.
7. Euhomy Countertop Ice Maker
At over double the ice output compared to most other portable ice machines, the Euhomy Countertop Ice Maker is the most efficient model in our round-up. It can deliver up to 24 cubes every 12 to 18 minutes, which can lead to 40 pounds of ice per day. Although this machine can produce larger amounts of ice, the controls needed to operate it are still very simple. To top it off, this machine also boasts a timer feature, so you can pre-set your maker to be ready for action in eight hour’s time.
8. GE Major Appliances Opal Ice Maker
The futuristic appearance of the GE MAjor Appliances Opal Ice Maker will impress your guests even before they’ve tasted the delicious ice. Its stainless steel exterior measures 13.4 by 16.5 by 17.6 inches and has the largest viewing window of any ice maker in this roundup. This mighty machine can produce one pound of ice in an hour, and the storage bin can hold up to three pounds of ice before it needs to be emptied. Bluetooth technology makes it possible to control the machine from your phone, too. This really is a futuristic ice maker.