Back when you were a kid, snow was one of the most magical things in the world. That white powder often brought with it seemingly endless days of cold-weather playtime, snowball fights, the building of snowpeople, and countless other activities. Snow when you’re an adult? Well … it’s decidedly less fun. And it typically involves a whole lot of work. And, having to put on snow pants solely to go outside and shovel? That’s a fat “No, thank you.” But, owning one of the best snow blowers proves that snow doesn’t have to suck that much.
For those parts of the country that receive feet of snow, keeping a snow blower in the shed is just as essential as a lawnmower or a leaf blower. Saving not only time (but in most cases your back, too) snow blowers make quick work of the slush and allow your kids (or even your inner kid) to run wild without worry.
How to Choose a Snow Blower
When it comes to snow blowers, there are different features and functions that you need to take into consideration to choose the best snow blower for you, including the product’s fuel type, stage level, and price.
- FUEL TYPE: There are three major ways to power a snow blower: gas, electricity and battery. Regardless of your fuel preference, whichever type you choose will get the job done, however, gas-powered tend to be more powerful than the rest.
- STAGE: First, let’s define what “stage” means in snow blowers. Stage is basically a measure of how powerful the tool is and what the product’s snow removal capacity is. There are three different types of snow blower stages: single, double and triple. The higher the number, the more powerful the machine.
- Single-Stage: This type of snow blower is best for snow accumulation under 12 inches, works best on flat surfaces, and has a throwing capacity between 20 to 35 feet.
- Double-Stage: Double-stage snow blowers are in the sweet spot. They can clear snow piles of up to two feet and throw snow as far as 60 feet away. These also work well with ice and wet snow and can be used on both paved and unpaved surfaces.
- Triple-Stage: When you see a triple-stage snow blower, this is literally the definition of a powerful and unstoppable beast. Similar to double-stage ones, these can clear snow piles of up to 24 inches and throw snow as far away as up to 60 feet, depending on the model. Plus, these monsters work on all kinds of surfaces, flat, paved and unpaved, and even surfaces with a slope.
- PRICE: In terms of pricing, you’ll find a wide range of prices to meet all budgets, from a couple hundred bucks or less on the low end and up to a thousand dollars or more on the high end.
Now, as we are getting ready to welcome 2022, don’t make things harder for yourself and enter the new year with just a collapsible snow shovel. To help blow through winter’s worst, we’ve rounded up 10 of our favorite snow blowers below. You’ll be thanking us later. We’re sure of it.
1. Toro Power Max 824 OE Snow Blower
With a 24-inch clearing width and a 20-inch intake height, the Toro Power Max 824 OE snow blower is no match for winter’s worst. That height and width make it easy to cut right through piles of snow with ease, while the Quick Stick control allows control of both the chute direction and deflector with a single motion for optimal control. Most importantly, the anti-clogging system actively looks at snow intake to prevent clogging so you can keep on plowing along. Ideal for larger amounts of snow (anywhere from 8-inches to 14-inches) the Toro Power Max is our best overall snow blower for the sheer power and cleaning ability, making all the snow in your way, well, snow problem.
2. CRAFTSMAN SB230 Single-stage with Auger Assistance Gas Snow Blower
This CRAFTSMAN beauty will not only get the job done but will also keep your driveway clear of snow in no time. It is powered by gas, comes with an easy-to-start electric button, and a four-cycle engine, which means you don’t have to worry about mixing gas and oil. This snow thrower is ideal for cleaning up snow of up to 13 inches in height.
3. Champion Power Equipment 224cc 24 in. Two-Stage Gas Snow Blower
This super powerful Champion two-stage snow blower is going to be your bestie in no time. It is easy to use, comes with a clearing width and height of 24 inches and 21 inches respectively, and is made out of durable and resistant materials. Plus, it has a throwing capacity of up to 25 feet and is EPA certified. We are sure you are going to have fun with this one.
4. Cub Cadet 3X 26 in. 357 cc Three-Stage Gas Snow Blower
And for our best three-stage snow blower we have a super-powerful machine for you. There is nothing that can stop this one. It can remove snow from paved, unpaved, and even gravel surfaces. Plus, its chute can rotate up 200 degrees and has a width and height clearance of 26 inches and 21 inches, respectively. And if that wasn’t enough, it is easy to use, can be operated using one hand, and, the best part of all, it has heated handgrips. If you need a three-stage snow blower, we know you have a lot of work to do and we want you to do it comfortably. Note: You may need to pick it up at your local store.
5. Snow Joe SJ623E Electric Single Stage Snow Thrower
With over 4,000 ratings on Amazon, it comes with no surprise that the Snow Joe SJ623E Snow Thrower is one to snag yourself. The Snow Joe is an excellent choice for clearing mid to large-sized driveways in only a matter of minutes. It needs no gas, no oil, and zero tuneups ever, making it one of the most low-maintenance snow blowers on the market. With a 15-amp motor, this baby can move up to 720 pounds of snow per minute. Let that sink in for a second. It’s topped off with a halogen light which allows for use both day and night, so you can get plowing no matter the time of day.
6. Greenworks PRO 80V Cordless Snow Blower
BEST HANDHELD OPTION
This handheld snow blower from Greenworks makes for a great choice for those that don’t want to do the manual labor of shoveling snow but don’t want to fully invest in a real snow blower, either. With a 12-inch shoveling width, it’ll help you power through sidewalks and smaller driveways with ease. Additionally, the lightweight design makes it easy and comfortable to use over extended periods of use, helping you to move a lot in no time.
7. EGO Power+ 56-volt 21 in. Single-stage Brushless Cordless Electric Snow Blower
The EGO Power+ Single-stage cordless snow blower is all about ease of use. Despite being a big and powerful blower, its main focus is to make snow cleaning as easy and efficient as possible. The heavy-duty structure allows this gem to deliver maximum performance without the noise or fumes of typical gas-powered blowers. And it can handle snow deeper than you can ever imagine and even has four LED lights in case you need to plow in low visibility. Plus, batteries and chargers are included.
8. Briggs & Stratton 1022 Single Stage Snow Blower
With its 22-inch clearing width, this snow blower from Briggs & Stratton is well equipped for brutal snowfalls. Compact for not only easy storage but easy to use too, its 208cc engine is built specifically for snow, allowing for the most power even in the worst conditions. That small size allows it to be easily pivoted around corners without feeling too heavy or bulky. With a throwing distance of up to 30 feet, the pavement and sidewalks of your home will be clean in no time.
9. Snow Joe 323E 13-Inch 10-Amp Electric Snow Shovel
Although we’ve already chatted about one of our favorite handheld options, we couldn’t leave out this impressive electric snow shovel plow made for those that can’t fully give up the old-fashioned way of doing things. This corded electric shovel is a great one-pusher with an ergonomic design that won’t hurt those paws of yours. It has a powerful blow that can easily get rid of up to 13-inches of snow without a problem. For a price under $100, how can you not give it a shot?
10. Snapper XD Single-Stage Snow Blower
In need of a new snow blower in anticipation of this season? Snapper’s XD Single-Stage Snow Blower is a great upgrade if you’re in need of replacing an older model for any reason. What we love about this model (in addition to its 20-inch width and 10-inch depth clearing power) is the dual lights on the front housing to provide higher visibility when cleaning. With 20 feet of throwing distance, it’s not quite as powerful as other selections on this list, but for the price, it can’t be beaten.