If you purchase an independently reviewed product or service through a link on our website, SPY.com may receive an affiliate commission.
The benefits of hardwood flooring far outweigh the negatives. However, that doesn’t mean there aren’t a couple of things that can really get on your nerves. Yes, hardwood floors are low-maintenance and the shiny, smooth surface is great to look at. But even the smallest amount of dirt or debris on the ground is guaranteed to stick to your feet if you walk over it. That is, of course, unless you have one of the best vacuum cleaners for hardwood floors at your disposal.
When it comes to the best vacuum for cleaning the hardwood floors in your home, there’s a range of different vacuum styles to choose from. The right one for you will depend on a number of factors, from available space and budget to whether you want to vacuum multiple surfaces with your device. The available vacuum styles include:
- Stick Vacuum – Stick vacuums are lightweight and offer users the ability to reach many places your average vacuum cannot. These agile devices are usually powered by batteries (although not always) to provide even greater freedom for truly remote use. They’re an ideal choice for rapid cleanups in busy areas of the house. Their biggest limitation is their battery life.
- Upright Vacuum – These are your classic-style, versatile vacuums which tick multiple boxes. Thanks to their corded power supply they are never limited by battery life, but being tethered to an outlet does limit their range. They also possess large cleaning heads and don’t require any lifting, just a small amount of tilting and pushing, making them a very comfortable option for the average household.
- Canister Vacuum – Canister vacuums combine several of the best elements of other vacuum styles. The corded power supply ensures there’s no dependency on battery life, while their mid-range size ensures users still enjoy impressive flow rate, suction, and dirt collection. Additionally, the stick head on a flexible hose is both lightweight and agile. The biggest limitation is having to drag around the vacuum’s canister body.
- Robot Vacuum – With a robot vacuum in your home, it feels like the future is truly here. Having a programmable device capable of independently performing your household vacuuming frees up time and effort, allowing you to enjoy more of your day. It also means you can vacuum more regularly and don’t have to disturb anyone, as cleaning times can be scheduled when the house is empty. However, their size does limit the amount of dirt they can collect, and their suction power is less than their human-operated competitors.
Scroll down to discover our top 11 picks for the best vacuum cleaners for hardwood floors. We’ve included at least one of every style to ensure there’s an option for every preference and budget.
1. Dyson Cyclone V10 Animal Stick Vacuum Cleaner
If you’re really serious about vacuuming, it’s hard to look beyond a Dyson device. Yes, the price may be a little higher, but the widespread positive reviews speak for themselves. This Dyson Cyclone V10 Animal Stick Vacuum Cleaner is more than capable of cleaning multiple surfaces, including hardwood. The lightweight, cordless design is comfortable in hand and includes a rechargeable battery that provides up to 60 minutes of fade-free vacuuming from a single, full charge. The slim stick vacuum is also great for reaching remote and tight spaces in your home.
2. Eureka Blaze Stick Vacuum Cleaner
At under $35 and with 22,000 five-star ratings from happy Amazon users, the Eureka Blaze Stick Vacuum Cleaner really is a fantastic option for anyone looking to clean hardwood floors on a budget. The device is impressively lightweight at only four pounds and sports a three-in-one design, which allows you to switch between a stick vacuum, a handheld vacuum, and something in between. The swiveling head offers better maneuverability than a fixed device, while the powerful two-amp motor provides enough power to suck up dust, pollen, and other debris.
3. Bissell PowerEdge Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
By incorporating a bagless design, the Bissell PowerEdge Bagless Vacuum Cleaner maximizes suction and offers an easy-to-empty experience, allowing you to dump collected dirt straight into the trash. The device sports a V-shaped head to direct debris into the vacuum’s path, while also allowing you to fully cover hard-to-reach areas like chair and table legs. Additionally, this popular corded device comes with over 7,000 five-star ratings, meaning you can trust it’s going to please you, too.
4. Eureka WhirlWind Vacuum Cleaner
If you prefer to minimize the amount of weight you have to lift when vacuuming, the Eureka WhirlWind Vacuum Cleaner could be the right option for you. This canister-style device offers powerful suction delivered through the multi-surface suction handle, which is lightweight and has a sliding control to let you choose between carpet, upholstery, and hard flooring. Furthermore, the bagless canister lets you quickly empty the vacuum when it’s full.
5. Eureka PowerSpeed Upright Vacuum Cleaner
For a more traditional-style device, give the Eureka PowerSpeed Upright Vacuum Cleaner a go. It comes in your choice of blue or black, and features an upgraded, multi-cyclone filtration system which prevents suction loss, making it a great choice for a wide range of surfaces. The cleaner’s extra-wide head also minimizes cleaning time. Users also love the built-in hose, which can attach to either the dusting brush, upholstery tool, or crevice tool, depending on your needs at the time.
6. Shark Rocket HV301 Stick Vacuum
While the corded design of the Shark Rocket HV301 Stick Vacuum limits its ability to reach remote areas, it does mean you won’t have to worry about battery life. This ultra-light vacuum also features a bagless design so you don’t have to buy or replace bag—when it’s full, simply empty it. For greater versatility, it can convert from a stick vacuum to a handheld device, allowing for more precise cleaning in tighter areas of your home. It’s also great for dealing with pet hair, and comes with a five-year warranty.
7. BISSELL CrossWave 1785 All-in-One Vacuum
If you want to take care of vacuuming and mopping at the same time, it may be worth considering a vacuum cleaner which can deal in both wet and dry conditions. This BISSELL CrossWave 1785 All-in-One Vacuum is a versatile device that fits this bill, as it’s capable of vacuuming dirt and washing your floors at the same time. In addition to sealed wood flooring, it can be used on tile, area rugs, pressed wood, and floor mats. The device, which comes with a two-year warranty, features a dual-action brush made from microfiber and nylon which spins at 3000 rpm to get your floors impressively clean.
8. Tineco iFLOOR3 Wet/Dry Vacuum Cleaner
The Tineco iFLOOR3 Wet/Dry Vacuum Cleaner is another impressively reviewed device capable of dealing with multiple surfaces, including wet ones. The smart, cordless design allows you to vacuum and wash your floors at the same time, whether that’s on hardwood, tile, laminate, vinyl, or marble. You’ll also find a top-facing digital display, which delivers a user-friendly experience. For further convenience, the device includes a self-cleaning system and offers a one-touch start option.
9. Tineco Pure ONE S12 Stick Vacuum Cleaner
The Tineco Pure ONE S12 Stick Vacuum Cleaner feels like an advanced household tool when you hold it in your hand. The design includes a comprehensive LED display which informs you of battery life, Wi-Fi connectivity, air-channel status, and the current mode. The Pure ONE S12 also comes with two rechargeable batteries, which each deliver up to 50 minutes of runtime. Furthermore, the iLoop(TM) Smart Sensor Technology ensures a comprehensive clean on any one of the surfaces it’s capable of cleaning, which include hard floors, carpet, and upholstery.
10. Dyson V11 Torque Drive Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
If you’re looking to invest in one of the best vacuum cleaners for any floor type, including hardwood, the Dyson V11 Torque Drive Cordless Vacuum Cleaner is your answer. Dyson’s magic is their ability to fit the unbeatable suction, intelligence and general performance in one of the most compact and lightweight devices available. This combination delivers a vacuum which is near-impossible to hate, as the 8,000 five-star Amazon ratings show. With a full charge the device offers up to 60 minutes of full-power suction, although this will depend on the setup and surface you’re cleaning. In addition to impressive cleaning, the advanced whole-device filtration delivers cleaner air by trapping particles, dust, and allergens as small as 0.3 microns in size.
11. iRobot Roomba i7+ (7550) Robot Vacuum
The iRobot Roomba i7+ (7550) Robot Vacuum is the answer for users who want to be involved in the cleaning process as little as possible. This advanced home cleaning robot comes with a self-cleaning home base which charges the device and acts as a temporary dump when the robot is full. The device uses a three-stage cleaning system to deliver impressive results on your floors, while smart guidance technology learns your room layouts and optimizes routes for faster cleaning. Furthermore, you can use the iRobot Home app or Amazon’s Alexa to control the device and tell it when to start or set up weekly cleaning schedules.