When it’s too cold in your home, you turn on the heating. When it’s too warm, you turn on the cooling. So when the air is excessively dry, why don’t you turn on the humidifying? Just like being too cold or too hot, being too dry is uncomfortable. A dry throat or itchy skin is preferably avoided. Furthermore, excess dryness may also lead to damage to your home or your furniture. What’s the answer to excessive dryness? Installing one of the best whole-house humidifiers.
Unlike your average portable humidifier or single-room device, the best whole-house humidifiers are built with greater coverage in mind. To achieve this goal, these devices are usually larger in size or capable of being connected to your home’s forced-air furnace system. Here are some of the benefits of each device style:
- Temporary – Freestanding units are a great temporary option. If your local climate is only dry some of the year, meaning humidifying is only necessary for a few months, you may prefer a device you can bring out when it’s required and store it the rest of the time.
- Portability – While these devices are capable of humidifying large areas, if you only want to cover part of your home or a certain number of rooms, these devices are ideal. Most include built-in wheels for greater mobility, allowing you to move them freely and create areas of improved humidity, without having to commit to every room in your home.
- Price – While a slight difference, the average cost of a freestanding device is lower than an in-furnace device. If you’re not ready to fully commit to full-time humidifying, these devices are a good way to go.
- Coverage – By connecting to your house-wide air-handling system, your humid air reaches every corner of your home. This may be preferable over freestanding units, where freedom of air movement can be blocked or limited by closed doors.
- No Refilling – Unlike freestanding units, in-furnace devices connect to a power and water supply, meaning you don’t have to plug them in or refill the water tank every time you want to use it.
- Hidden – From a purely aesthetic standpoint, in-furnace devices are located near your furnace. This means they are out of the way and aren’t taking up space or creating an eyesore in your living room, hallway or other open space.
Below you’ll find nine of the best whole-house humidifiers. We’ve included both free-standing and in-furnace devices, allowing you to choose the right style for your home.
1. AIRCARE MA1201 Evaporative Humidifier
With its impressive portability and user-friendly controls, the AIRCARE MA1201 Evaporative Humidifier is an effective and easy answer to humidifying your home. The console-style device is suitable for homes up to 3,600 square feet and features a digital humidistat that automatically maintains your chosen humidity level. The popular device can run up to 36 hours at a time and includes an auto shut-off for when a humidity level is reached or the 3.6-gallon water tank is empty. Furthermore, the device sports four caster wheels for easier round-the-house mobility.
2. AIRCARE 831000 Space-Saver Evaporative Humidifier
At under $120, this AIRCARE 831000 Space-Saver Evaporative Humidifier is the most budget-friendly device on our list. The upright, standalone device features a six-gallon capacity, which allows it to run for up to 70 hours at a time. You’ll also find three fan speeds to choose from and an adjustable humidistat to ensure your humidity levels are exactly where you want them. The pour-in reservoir and auto shut-off further add to the device’s user-friendliness, while the 1,900 five-star ratings from Amazon users prove it has plenty to offer.
3. AIRCARE EA1208 Console-Style Humidifier
MOST USER FRIENDLY
The AIRCARE EA1208 Console-Style Humidifier sports easy-to-understand, touch controls that deliver a user-friendly experience. It’s a console-style device that is capable of humidifying homes up to 2,400 square feet, making it ideal for an average family home with two or three bedrooms. It also features a 3.5-gallon water tank which gives the device a maximum runtime of 45 hours. In addition, you’ll have nine fan speeds to choose from and find built-in casters for convenient mobility around the house.
4. AIRCARE EP9 800 Pedestal-Style Evaporative Humidifier
With over 2,300 five-star ratings from Amazon users, this whole-house humidifier is a popular and tried-and-tested choice of standalone, air-moisture handling device. It comes in your choice of either nutmeg or espresso and is suitable for homes up to 2,400 square feet. The design includes a digital humidistat which, once set, maintains your desired humidity level without the need for constant monitoring. You can also choose from nine different fan speeds and enjoy easy refilling thanks to the fold-out, pour-in spout and supplied funnel.
5. AIRCARE H12600 Copper Night Humidifier
Just because it’s performing a maintenance function, there’s no reason your whole-house humidifier can’t look great at the same time. In this AIRCARE H12600 Copper Night Humidifier, you’ll have a humidifier that effectively moistens the air and adds a touch of style to your home while doing it. The attractive device comes in three different wood finishes. It’s capable of humidifying 3,700 square feet and uses natural humidity in the process, without the need for white dust. Furthermore, the built-in humidistat constantly maintains your chosen humidity level, while the rolling casters provide greater mobility.
6. AIRCARE 4DTS 900 Evaporative Humidifier
BEST COLOR RANGE
With colors ranging from brushed nickel to honey oak, were confident there’s a AIRCARE 4DTS 900 Evaporative Whole-House Humidifier option to match your home decor. Functionally, the console-style device offers nine different speeds to choose from, a built-in hygrometer, an automatic humidistat and a user-friendly, digital touch screen control panel. It’s capable of running up to 48 hours at a time, and once your desired humidity is met or the 5.7-gallon tank is empty, the device automatically shuts off. In addition, the humidifier, which can work in spaces up to 3,600 square feet, also sportscasters for easier portability.
7. Aprilaire 400 Whole-House Humidifier
BEST USA MADE
The Aprilaire 400 Whole-House Humidifier is a well-reviewed device that has been designed and manufactured in the U.S.A. This in-furnace humidifier requires a direct connection to a water supply to deliver humid, fresh air to every corner of your home. To conserve water, the device evaporates 100% of the water which flows into the water panel. It’s capable of covering up to 4,000 square feet and uses dual sensors to monitor your internal and external humidities, adjusting accordingly. Plus, the accompanying digital control makes it simple to set your desired humidity and then forget about the rest.
8. Honeywell Home HE280A Humidifier
BEST IN-FURNACE DEVICE
The Honeywell Home HE280A Humidifier installs directly onto the warm air supply or return-air duct of your existing home forced-air furnace. It also connects directly to your water supply, resulting in a whole-house humidifier that requires less frequent maintenance than free-standing devices. The humidifier features PerfectFLO water distribution which minimizes water usage and maximizes its efficiency, saving around 30% of water compared to standard models. This is a great option for homeowners looking to protect wood floors and furnishings.
9. Aprilaire 800Z Steam Humidifier
BEST FOR LARGE HOMES
With the capability to humidify up to 6,200 square feet, the Aprilaire 800Z Steam Humidifier is an ideal choice for larger-than-average homes. The installation process connects the whole-house humidifier to power and water supply, making this USA-made option a little more advanced than your average, console-style device. Once installed, the dual sensors, which respond to both indoor and outdoor humidity levels, get to work on achieving your chosen humidity level. In addition, if the Aprilaire 800Z is too big, the device is available in a number of smaller models, too.
The Best Portable Humidifiers to Achieve Healthy Humidity Wherever You Go