Dyson’s latest product feels like it’s ripped straight from the pages of a science fiction novel: a two-in-one air purifier and set of headphones. The Dyson Zone is a wearable air purifier that provides wearers with clean air by filtering out gas, allergens and particulate matter — while also covering the ears to cancel out environmental noise and provide audiophile-worthy sound quality.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), 9 out of 10 people across the globe breathe in dangerously polluted air. “There are also hundreds of millions of people at risk of hearing damage due to noise-induced hearing loss from both recreational and industrial noise,” the WHO adds.
The Dyson Zone aims to fix that. Jake Dyson, Chief Engineer, says, “The Dyson Zone purifies the air you breathe on the move. And unlike face masks, it delivers a plume of fresh air without touching your face, using high-performance filters and two miniaturized air pumps.”
What We Love About The Dyson Zone
The Dyson Zone is a product with over six years of development time, but its release now — during a time when air quality and cleanliness are in the spotlight — feels fortuitous. Here are a few of its capabilities:
- Filters out 99 percent of particle pollution as small as 0.1 microns, including dust, bacteria, and pollen
- Uses an enriched carbon filter to capture gases like NO2, SO2, and O3
- Actively cancels external noise without eliminating your ability to hear what’s happening around you
- Has three noise cancellation modes: isolation, conversation and transparency
- Supports multiple configurations, including headphone-only
- Can provide a sealed face covering for greater protection
It’s undeniably unique with its design and will most certainly draw attention, but Dyson is known for thinking outside of the box with its products. If health is important to you, the Dyson Zone takes it far more seriously than most available products today.
Dyson Zone pricing and availability
Dyson estimates the Dyson Zone air-purifying headphones will be available online and in stores starting in the fall of 2022, but the exact release timing will vary by region. Pricing info has yet to be announced. It’s certainly a gadget that’s unique, but we’ll all have to wait to try it out for ourselves.