If you purchase an independently reviewed product or service through a link on our website, SPY.com may receive an affiliate commission.
* Essential reads to put you on the fast track to success
* A great gift idea for new grads
* Choose from international bestsellers, first-hand accounts and more
Did you know that only some 30% of new businesses survive after the first few years? It’s a startling stat, but it’s worth mentioning. More often than not, people jump into new business ventures without the proper experience (or subject matter knowledge). Whether you’re a recent grad looking to start the next big startup or a seasoned entrepreneur looking to try something new, here are six essential books to help put you on the path to success.
1. How Successful People Think: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life
A fast read for today’s fast-paced society, John C. Maxwell offers first-hand knowledge on how to be more creative (and successful) in the workplace. You’ll also read how to look at the big picture rather than fragments of a whole. A definite must-have for budding businesspeople and new grads.
2. Girl Code: Unlocking the Secrets to Success, Sanity, and Happiness for the Female Entrepreneur
A must-read for everyone who wanted to learn code but never had the gumption to make it happen, this girl’s guidebook has everything you need to unlock your inner potential and grow as both a professional and as a creative.
3. The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future
Author Chris Guillebeau identified some 1,500 entrepreneurs who successfully built businesses on $50k or less and used them as the basis of this book. With first-hand accounts of how to become successful on a budget, it’s a great read for people just starting their career.
4. The Entrepreneur Mind: 100 Essential Beliefs, Characteristics, and Habits of Elite Entrepreneurs
It takes a certain mindset to make it in this world, and though some people are born with it, others have to manifest it. This powerful book offers tried-and-true methods to help you get into the entrepreneurial way of thinking. Backed by oodles of specific examples, first-hand accounts and more, it’s a great primer to help you better focus your time.
5. Crushing It!: How Great Entrepreneurs Build Their Business and Influence-and How You Can, Too
Learn how to build your business from the ground up with this comprehensive guide. Filled with poignant real-life experiences and powerful tips, this international best-seller has been cited as a reference for many of today’s popular entrepreneurs, and it’s no surprise why.
6. The Lean Startup: How Today’s Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses
A must for everyone who’s ever thought of developing their own startup, this guidebook offers a smart, new approach on how to create your business. Test your vision and learn how to grow the scope of your ideas before you start your new business — that way you can do things right the first time.