What message are you sending with your messenger bag? If you’re not sure, don’t worry. We’re here to help. In this article we’ll dive into:
- The best messenger bags for men
- A variety of looks that supply durable construction and affordable prices
- How they’re great for commuting, traveling or school
Guys, if you’re still lugging a backpack to the office or to class (even if it’s a great backpack), it might be time to consider an alternative. Messenger bags are a briefcase/backpack hybrid that provides easy access to all your goods without sacrificing style. Not to mention, they’re really versatile. You can bring a messenger bag to work, school or even your weekend getaway. Plus, there are tons of great options when it comes to picking out the right messenger bag for you.
- Canvas bags are made from a rugged fabric that provides a look that’s very stylistically versatile. You can rock a canvas messenger bag during a city commute or at a rural music festival and look great.
- Leather bags are clean and often timeless in their design, so they’re a strong contender if you’re aiming for a sharp, professional-looking bag to bring to the office.
- Nylon bags are a perfect balance that meets in the middle between professional and sporty. They come in many different looks and often provide durable construction.
As you can see, the only problem with buying a messenger bag is sorting through all the options. There are hundreds of bags at low prices, but not all of them are well-built and worth buying. To help narrow down your search, we rounded up five of the best messenger bags in the most popular style variants that you can buy right now. Check them out below.
1. Fossil Defender Messenger Briefcase
It’s important to note that this bag is ideal for those who travel lite. The handsomely crafted bag, made from 100% leather, is a bit on the smaller side, so it’s perfect for a laptop and a few select essentials. As with any compact bag, organization is key. The clean-cut design features a padded laptop pocket (with a structured base for added protection), a few zip pockets and a key ring.
2. Herschel Supply Co. Grade Messenger Bag
BEST SPORTY MESSENGER BAG
Even though this bag offers more of a sporty look, it is still sharp enough to bring to the workplace. This durable messenger bag features a concealed Velcro closure, so the flap doesn’t fly open. The synthetic construction assures that you can load your laptop, plus a few extra items, and the bag won’t give out on you. The interior of the bag is fitted with an eye-popping red and white pinstripe design, which is the signature style for most Herschel bags. This bag is available in grey, navy or camo.
3. Alpine Swiss Messenger Bag
BEST LUXE UNDER $100
You shouldn’t have to sacrifice style for budget, which is why we love this messenger option from Alpine Swiss. The timeless and clean design of the genuine leather bag offers a luxe look at a decent price. Various slips and zippered pockets flank the padded laptop compartment, and simple matte black hardware pulls the piece together. The bag is also available in crosshatch gray with silver hardware, but regardless of the bag’s color, its functional and polished structure makes buying this a no-brainer.
4. Sweetbriar Laptop Messenger Bag
BEST CANVAS BAG
Military-style has been having a moment recently with cargo pants, combat boots, camo and other service-ready colors. But there’s another military-inspired classic that we think everyone should consider: canvas messenger bags. This canvas messenger bag from Sweetbriar features a slightly larger size and a convenient padded laptop compartment. We’re also big fans of the throwback style that utilizes a few subtle leather accents and buckles to nail the look.
5. Timbuk2 Especial Stash Messenger Bag
BEST FOR COMMUTERS
Who says a messenger bag can’t be sleek and durable at the same time? The jet black Stash Messenger from Timbuk2 is an urbanite’s dream. The bag boasts a water-resistant shell, but it doesn’t stop there. It also features a padded, waterproof laptop compartment to keep your tech safe and sound. With several zippered pockets, there is a compartment for everything, so you won’t have to do an archeological dive just to find your keys.