Winter’s coming and right now, your feet aren’t looking forward to it. However, get your hands (or feet) on a pair of the best thermal socks, and you’ll be all set for a warm and wonderful holiday season.
Thermal socks are like an upgrade from other socks. They’re specifically designed for the ultimate warmth, even in the most extreme weather conditions. They’re also designed for supreme comfort when both lounging around the house and out exploring, too.
There are certain materials that are best suited for creating the perfect combination of fibers for thermal socks. So, it’s good to know which materials are the best to look out for when shopping for yourself. Here are a few of the most popular:
- Merino Wool – If you’re looking for the best thermal socks ever, then you should be looking for socks that will wrap your feet in merino wool. It’s very durable and much finer than traditional wool, making it much more breathable. This is great for anyone wishing to avoid smelly feet (aka all of us).
- Wool – The most balanced material for thermal socks is wool. It’s reasonably priced, super moisture-wicking and is a great insulator.
- Cotton – You’ll most likely see an amount of cotton included in any given pair of socks rather than a 100% cotton option. Cotton holds onto moisture, and so it is not the best at insulating warmth and keeping feet dry.
- Combed Cotton – Continuing from cotton as explained above, combed cotton is a further development of the material that utilizes the longest and straightest strands of fiber from cotton when it has been combed out. The result is a higher-quality fabric that’s considered to be softer than regular cotton.
- Polyester – As one of the most common man-made materials we see used in fashion, polyester is bound to pop up on your search for the best thermal socks. It’s a cheaper alternative to cotton, but it’s often considered less moisture-wicking which can lead to odors. However, when used in moderation, polyester is a great material to have in the mix to keep costs down and feet warm.
- Spandex – Our socks have to fit over our feet somehow, and most of the time that’s thanks to the wonderful invention of spandex. Most commonly known for its appearance in gym leggings and 70s workout videos, spandex will often appear in a small percentage of socks to ensure a smooth and stretchy fit.
Most thermal socks these days utilize thermal regulation to ensure your feet are cool when in warm temperatures, and then that they’re also warm in cold temperatures. Thermal socks also use moisture-wicking fibers to control the level of dampness. The main aim of this is to keep your feet dry and free of odor.
Be ready to laugh in the face of snow this winter with the best thermal socks for you. Here’s a selection of our favorite foot friends.
1. DG Hill Men’s Thermal Socks
These fleece-lined Men’s Thermal Socks from DG Hill are seven times warmer than cotton socks thanks to their master-combo material made up of 93% acrylic, 6% polyester and 1% spandex. They also claim to be both much softer on your skin than wool is and also itch-resistant for a non-irritating wear. There are two pairs included in the pack, and they’re available in either medium or large. Plus, you can choose from the available range of calm color tones, such as black and grey, along with two patterned alternatives.
2. Meister Thermal Toe Warmer
BEST TOE WARMERS
The Meister Thermal Toe Warmers are the ideal piece of armor to protect your little piggies from the cold. They’re made from insulated 2.55mm thermal neoprene which is designed to retain precious body heat. These socks are made for a one-size-fits-all audience and are available in pink, orange or black. They’re ideal for wearing when exercising or as an extra layer of toe warmth under your socks. They can also be used as protection when dipping into an ice bath. Ice, ice baby.
3. Bymore Thermal Socks
For an entry-level pair of thermal socks that will keep your feet warm without breaking the bank, the Bymore Thermal Socks are a great choice. If you’ve ever received a complimentary pair of socks when flying, then you’ll have a good idea of what to expect with these socks. They’re designed to be super comfy, not smelly and retain heat well. Plus, they’re available in black, grey and navy.
4. Loritta Thermal Cozy Socks
Keep your feet both warm and stylish with the Loritta Thermal Cozy Socks. These socks are available in 11 different color combinations that cover a range of different patterns to suit even the most outlandish of tastes. Whether for yourself or as a gift for a friend, these 35% wool, 29% cotton and 36% polyester socks are a great addition to any winter wardrobe. Plus, the fact that you get six pairs in one order makes these some of the best valued thermal socks on our list.
5. Yoicy Soft Winter Socks
BEST FOR WOMEN, INDOOR
Give your sweetheart the gift of warm feet with these Soft Winter Socks from Yoicy. They’re the ultimate indoor comfy thermal foot warmers made from 90% combed cotton, 9% polyester and 1% spandex. There are three pairs in each pack, and they all have a hand-embroidered logo saying ‘sweet’ on the side for an added touch of cuteness. They also have a useful rollover design at the top, so that they can be folded over the top of boots if taken into the great outdoors.
6. WEIERYA Ski Socks
BEST FOR SKIING
Weierya is an expert ski sock brand, and so these 86% cotton, 12.2% chinlon and 1.7% spandex thermal foot friends are completed to supreme quality. They’re ergonomically designed with areas of extra cushioning, detailed stitching and increased support, too. They’re also available in 10 different color variations, from dark and simple tones to bright and colorful options. You’re sure to find a pair to match your favorite ski outfit, and you will therefore be ready to hit the slopes as soon as possible.
7. J&J Thermal Men’s Socks
The J&J Thermal Men’s Socks should be your go-to pair if you’re looking for a super comfy, knitted and reliable option. They’re made in the USA using a combination of 38% merino wool, 45% cotton and 10% polyester. The heavy knitted design makes them both durable and stylish, and there are two of each color included with every order. That’s two red, two black and two blue socks for you to enjoy.
8. Carhartt Men’s Arctic Boot Socks
BEST FOR ARCTIC CONDITIONS
You might not be about to explore Antarctica, but it is highly likely you’ll face the chill of snow at some point this year. Carhartt Men’s Arctic Boot Socks are made in the USA and combine 83% wool, 9% polyester, 6% acrylic, 1% spandex and 1% other fibers to bring you a sock that’s confident providing warmth, even in the most extreme conditions. They have the famous Carhartt letters printed across the top of the foot and also utilize antimicrobial technology to avoid any unwanted odors. After all, not even polar bears want to smell your stinky feet.
9. Alvada Thermal Socks
Alvada Thermal Socks are the ultimate dream. These 80% merino Wool, 15% polyester, 4% nylon and 1% spandex cold fighters are designed to suit all. Their material mix is designed to avoid any skin irritation and encourage comfortable temperature regulation throughout wear. They’re charcoal in color and available in two different sizes. Three pairs are included in each pack, so that’s one for me, one for you and one for a friend. Just keep a close watch on these socks as you might find your partner stealing them right out from under your nose.
10. Caterpillar Men’s Work Socks
Standard socks just don’t cut it when worn inside work boots. You need a strong pair of thermal socks under those steel toe caps. These Men’s Work Socks from Caterpillar use thermoregulation which means they keep feet at the best temperature for your surroundings, regardless of the season. They come six in a pack, are available in either blue, black or grey and also help to avoid blisters (which is definitely an added bonus).
11. EnerWear Hiking Socks
BEST FOR WOMEN, OUTDOOR
These EnerWear Hiking Socks would be anyone’s new best friend when it comes to exploring the great outdoors. They’re made from 86% extra-fine merino wool, 10% polyester, 3% nylon and 1% spandex, so they offer a super cushioned and insulated adventure for the feet. Four pairs of socks are included with each order, and they’re available in a lovely range of multicolored patterns to suit everyone’s style.
12. Debra Weitzner Thermal Socks
With a label that announces ‘Mega Thermo’ in large white font, there’s no doubt that these Debra Weitzner Thermal Socks are the best thermal socks to warm up your toes. The high-quality materials that combine 91% acrylic, 5% nylon, 3% polyester and 1% elastane are approved for machine washing and tumble drying. Six pairs are included in each pack, so that’s nearly one for each day of the week. Plus, they’re available in either black or two tones for a slightly softer option. Both color options include highlighted areas to show zones of extra support on the sole and around the ankle. Happy feet, here you come!