With hurricane season around the corner, now is the time to make sure you are ready for the potential situations that may arise. As the weather becomes more extreme and the chances of strong winds and flash floods are increasing, it’s important to help protect your home and the local community. One of the tried-and-tested ways to keep the extreme weather at bay is with the best sandbags for flooding.
Sandbags are a user friendly and affordable way to create temporary barriers. While they’re not well suited for building high walls, they are ideal for stacking one or two feet tall in order to divert the flow of water away from a building or area you’re aiming to protect.
Using sandbags requires preparation. They take time and effort to fill and move, all of which is best done prior to the harsh weather hitting. It is wise to start thinking about where you would set up your sandbags and which type of sandbag is best suited to those potential needs.
When choosing your sandbags, consider the following elements to ensure you select the ones which best serve your requirements:
- Durability – If you’re expecting extreme weather conditions, such as a hurricane or intense flooding, you should be aiming for the most durable sandbags. Certain brands produce double woven bags which are twice as durable as the standard option. Many sandbags are made from polypropylene due to its high-strength properties and low cost impact. However, polypropylene is a man-made, synthetic material which is harmful to the environment. A more eco-friendly choice of sandbag material is jute as it’s 100% biodegradable.
- UV Protection – Hours of direct UV light causes damage to sandbags, which is why it’s important to consider where you will be placing your sandbags and how exposed they will be. Most sandbags can withstand 1600 hours of UV light, but there are certain types which have been specifically designed to maintain their quality for up to 4000 hours.
- Closure – An integrated tie is the most traditional way to secure sandbags. However, more recent designs have adopted an adhesive seal which some users find to be more efficient and offer a more appealing appearance.
- Capacity – The industry-standard size of a sandbag is 14 by 26 inches, and in general this is what most brands stick to. You might find some slightly larger or smaller by a couple of inches, but in general they remain this size as it best suits the maximum suggested weight of what can go inside.
- Weight – A sandbag usually weighs around 40 grams prior to filling, but certain more durable options can weigh over double that. Although this is minimal in relation to the weight of the bag once it’s filled, it is worth thinking about where it is best to store them and fill them.
Most sandbags deteriorate after several months of wetting and drying so it’s important to keep an eye on their condition. If you know you want them in place for longer durations, you may want to add cement into the sand mix as it will begin to harden once the sandbag becomes wet. Bear in mind this will make the bags much heavier when it comes to removing them.
We’ve rounded up the eight best sandbags for sale online. They cover a range of appearances and pack sizes, as well as levels of environmental impact. If you’re unsure of how many sandbags you require, as a guide, 60 bags is the minimum number you need to construct a wall which is one foot high and ten feet long.
Lastly, it’s always a good idea to have some sandbags on standby if you live in an area regularly exposed to extreme weather. However, remember that the sand is not supplied with them, so order it separately.
1. UpNorth Sandbags
UpNorth Sandbags come backed by over 1,800 five-star ratings from happy Amazon customers. They are available in pack sizes ranging from 10 to 1000 and can be secured shut using the integrated ties once they have been filled with sand. The bags are double sewn at the bottom to provide greater durability and reliability. Furthermore, they can withstand at least 1600 hours of UV-light exposure and are water resistant, dust resistant and leak resistant.
2. Tapix Empty White Sandbags
A bundle of 10 Tapix Empty White Sandbags can be yours for just over $10. They are made from premium polypropylene and capable of holding up to 50 pounds of sand. The bottom seams of the bags have been double sewn for extra strength to help avoid breakages or leaks. Overall, these sandbags offer impressive protection for little investment when the potential difference they could make in a flooding situation is considered.
3. Halsted White Woven Sandbags
Halsted White Woven Sandbags are slightly larger than the industry standard. This gives you bags which are heavier but can provide greater per-bag coverage. They are made from UV-treated polypropylene, making them ideal for creating temporary barriers in outdoor environments. These versatile bags can also be used to store dry materials, such as gravel or nuts. Each pack includes 24 sandbags, all of which feature an integrated string tie for secure closure.
4. Hercules Sandbags
These Hercules Sandbags are a little unusual as they are made from transparent plastic. This see-through material has an anti-slip finish which helps each bag grip the one next to it when piled on top of one another. It also makes it easier to see how full a bag is when you fill it. Plus, unlike most traditional sandbags, this design includes an adhesive closure which many users find more reliable when compared to the tie-up alternatives.
5. Sandbaggy Black Sandbags
BEST UV PROTECTION
Sandbaggy Black Sandbags are able to withstand UV light for over double the industry standard number of hours. This 4000-hour, UV-protected rating makes them well suited to sunny environments. Their woven polypropylene is two times thicker than most alternative sandbags which look similar, but are rarely constructed to the same high standard. It’s also worth noting that the bags’ premium-quality construction results in double the weight, meaning each bag weighs 80 grams prior to filling.
6. ABCCANOPY Sandbags
BEST FOR FURNITURE
Keeping your furniture in place during windy weather is a lot easier with these ABCCANOPY Sandbags on your side. They are constructed from PVC-coated, 1680D Oxford fabric, making them water resistant and great for both indoor and outdoor use. Each bag can hold up to 21 pounds of weight and has four integrated straps. These versatile straps can be used for a range of jobs, such as holding onto a tent pole or attaching to a table leg.
7. Sandbaggy Burlap Sandbags
Protect the planet while protecting your home with these Sandbaggy Burlap Sandbags. These sandbags are an eco-friendly alternative to synthetic, man-made bags which can be harmful to the environment. They are the same size as standard sandbags but are made from naturally grown jute plants, making them 100 percent biodegradable and a much greener choice.
8. AquaSafe Instant Sandless Sandbags
AquaSafe Instant Sandless Sandbags have reinvented the sandbag with their sandless design. By using a porous material which is filled with hydrophilic filler, these sandbags can absorb up to 50 times their own dry weight. The advanced technology used to create these bags comes with a higher price tag when compared to traditional sandbags, so building walls and protecting large buildings could be a costly venture. However, they are ideal for having on hand incase of an overflowing toilet, leaking sink or other spillage.