Alongside leaving the toilet seat up and picking your nose, biting your nails is a habit you need to kick. You may think this is easier said than done, but you’re wrong. Letting your nails grow out is an easy feat with the best nail biting products by your side.
There are many reasons why both children and adults start biting their nails, but the two most common are:
- Stress – People often notice they’re biting their nails once it’s already happening. Being focused on a task or unsure of our surroundings can lead to energy being released through repetitive habits, such as nail biting, hair twirling or foot tapping.
- Boredom – If you’ve noticed yourself carrying your phone as you walk down the street or playing with a pen as you sit at your desk, you know biting your nails can come from a place of not knowing what to do with your hands. When we’re feeling impatient and want time to pass quicker than reality, nail biting is a top contender for distraction.
It can be hard to avoid the above feelings daily, and when the time comes, nail biting might be your go-to reaction. It’s definitely worth considering the consequences before you chow down on your favorite digit.
- Tooth Health – Nibbling away at your nails can lead to chips in your teeth, a gap between your front two and weaker roots throughout your mouth. In the most extreme cases, tooth loss can also occur, which is something we’d all like to avoid.
- Nail Infections – Unwanted bacteria can find their way under the skin and cause infections. Infections are more likely where areas are broken or lifted from biting. Nail infections are very uncomfortable, can be dangerous and often alter the appearance of your nail, too.
Whether it’s a nervous tick or an absent-minded habit you’ve had since you were a kid, nail biting can feel as natural as blinking. When considering the above information, it’s clear you’ll be better off without said habit and have a healthier pair of hands to display, too. We’ve sourced 12 great products to get you closer to those long, healthy nails you’ve always secretly envied your friends for.
1. Nail Quail Anti-Biting Pen
The Nail Quail Anti-Biting Pen is ideal as a quick fix when you’re traveling. It’s barely detectable and completely odorless but incredibly bitter to deter nibbling. The click pen design gives you an easy to brush the solution on your nails and makes it a pocket-friendly tool for on-the-go use, too.
2. Control-It Stop Nail Biting
Have one in your bag, one next to your bed and one in the car with the Control-It Stop Nail Biting pack of three. This triple pack of nibble preventing creams is an all-natural treatment for steering clear of nail, thumb and cuticle biting. Its soft texture makes it easy to dab on, and the bitter taste works as a natural, harmless deterrent which is also suitable for children.
3. Mavala Deterrent Nail Polish
With more than 11,000 customer reviews and a 4.5-star rating on Amazon, the Mavala Deterrent Nail Polish is sure to take you one step closer to a future of fuller nails. The bitter-tasting formula is designed to prevent nail biting and discourage finger sucking. This is a suitable treatment for both adults and children over the age of three, so you can encourage a healthy set of nails for the whole family.
4. The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Habit
BEST CHILDREN’S BOOK
Are creams and serums not working for you? How about trying some sage advice from your favorite bear family instead? In this adventure book, the Bears help Sister Bear break her nail-biting habit. You’re never too old to quit–or enjoy a fun story. Plus, the book comes with 50 stickers ideal for using as merit awards when your little nibbler has gone a day without biting.
5. Hard as Hoof Nail Strengthening Cream
Designed to strengthen nails and cuticles, Hard as Hoof Nail Strengthening Cream is coconut scented and also doubles as a hand lotion. This cream is a caring treatment for both your fingernails and toes. Plus, it’s completely cruelty free and has never been tested on animals. For the best results, ensure consistent use and watch your nails grow in strength and length.
6. Barielle No Bite Pro Growth
BEST FOR THUMB SUCKERS
Barielle No Bite Pro Growth is odorless and invisible, but the taste is intensely bitter to help discourage biting. Apply it by itself for an unnoticeable wear or over polish when your hands are manicured. As this product is child safe, it’s great for deterring nail biting and thumb sucking from a young age.
7. Onyx Professional Nail Biting Deterrent Polish
BEST MADE IN THE USA
For a vegan-friendly, cruelty-free and made-in-the-USA nail treatment, look no further than Onyx Professional Nail Biting Deterrent Polish. Although the bitter taste will give your biting urges a knock, it’s completely harmless and is suitable for adults and children alike. The quick-drying solution will get to work as soon as you have applied it using the integrated brush. A stripy nail file is also included for shaping your nails as they begin to grow.
8. Prefer Beauty Stainless Steel Nail Clipper Kit
BEST CLIPPER KIT
One of the first methods of attack when kicking your nail biting habit is to keep them short, so there’s not much left to chew on. This 12-piece nail clipping kit includes a toenail clipper, nail clipper, diagonal nail clipper, multi-purpose scissor, cuticle trimmer, ear pick, single-edged double-sided push stick, eyebrow tweezer, peeling knife, nail file, blackhead needle and loop remover, V-shaped push stick to push back those unsightly cuticles. At $10, it’s a steal of a deal.
9. Pnrskter Gel Finger Cots
BEST ALTERNATIVE TREATMENT
By creating a barrier between your mouth and your nails the Pnrskter Gel Finger Cots make biting your nails a whole lot harder. The gel material contains vitamin E to make the cots gentle on your skin. Cut the tops of them to protect your fingers when playing tennis or taking part in other activities which are tiring on hands. They might not be the best looking nail biting treatment, but they’re sure to have an impact.
10. Atomic Habits by James Clear
BEST BOOK FOR ADULTS
Although not directly written for tackling nail biting, Atomic Habits is a phenomenal book for rethinking your mindset on approaching personal improvement. The pages of the book provide a tried and tested framework which will guide you towards achieving your goals, including biting your nails less. As a Wall Street Journal bestseller, this book is highly respected across the globe and available in all types of formats, from ebook to audio.
11. Milania Premium Organic Neem Oil
BEST ORGANIC TREATMENT
This natural herbal substance is filled with healthy fatty acids and antioxidants, all of which work to nurture dry, brittle nails. When you apply Milania Premium Organic Neem Oil directly to your nails, the naturally bitter taste works as a biting deterrent. This oil is an eco-friendly way to improve your nail health and promote growth in a natural, non-toxic way.
12. Magique Nail Biting Treatment
Most nail products designed to prevent biting will have a certain bitterness to them. With the Magique Nail Biting Treatment, you’re in control of the bitterness, as a second capsule containing more bitter additives comes included. This product is a great way to give yourself a powerful kick start, and then wean yourself away from the bad-tasting solution as biting your nails becomes a habit of the past.