When it comes to everyday use, towels are some of the most important items in your home. And when choosing the best towels, there are a lot of factors to consider.
- Are you more concerned with softness or durability?
- Do you want oversized towels or towels that won’t take up a lot of room while drying on the back of your door?
- Do you need to match the towel’s color to your decor or would you prefer an all-white collection of hotel-style towels?
- Which material will feel best on your skin, absorb water the fastest, and last you the longest? Typically, cheaper towels are made from run-of-the-mill cotton, while the most absorbent bath towels are made from premium cotton (Turkish or Egyptian cotton) or microfiber fabric.
Regardless of your answers, most of us are fed up with low quality towels. If the best, most absorbent towels are at the top of your must-have list, we’re here to help.
Finding the best towels that are also highly absorbent usually means a product on the thicker side. While thicker bath towels will absorb water fast, this also means they will usually take longer to dry. Having a large enough towel rack or enough time in between trips to the shower to allow your towel to fully dry is important. After all, a wet towel is never going to be as absorbent. Likewise, because the most absorbent bath towels naturally absorb more soap and body oils, they should be cleaned more often than regular bath towels.
When searching for the best absorbent bath towels, it’s important to understand the types of products available. For instance, did you know that towels come in one and two-ply? That’s right, toilet paper doesn’t get to have all the fun. Two-ply bath towels are more absorbent, but these resort-style towels can be on the pricier side.
In addition, you’ll need to understand the differences between the materials used to make bath towels and the various sizes in which they’re available.
What Are the Best Bath Towel Materials?
Perhaps the most important factor to take into account when buying bath towels is the material from which they are made. From cotton to microfiber, this can make a huge difference in your comfort levels.
- Cotton Towels: Cotton is the most popular towel material. It’s commonly used to make terry cloth, which towel manufacturers utilize thanks to its absorbent and drying abilities. Cotton itself creates a soft product that is quite durable. Plus, cotton towels can often be found at a low price point.
- Egyptian Cotton Towels: Egyptian cotton differs from normal cotton in that it boasts longer and finer fibers. These weave together to create a durable and soft product that will stay fluffy for longer than a traditional cotton towel. In addition, Egyptian cotton tends to be quite porous, giving Egyptian cotton towels the ability to absorb water efficiently.
- Turkish Cotton Towels: Turkish cotton is similar to Egyptian cotton in that its fibers are longer than average and boast excellent softness and durability. However, Turkish cotton towels differ from Egyptian as the fibers are often woven tighter to give Turkish towels increased absorbency and a particular sheen. This material tends to create some of the best luxury towels available.
- Blend Towels: Some manufacturers blend organic cotton with man-made fibers or bamboo to make towels with specific qualities, like high absorption, quick-drying abilities or mildew resistance. If you are looking for a towel to complete a certain task and don’t mind the use of synthetics, blends can be quite efficient.
- Bamboo Towels: Bamboo towels, which are also called rayon towels, are very absorbent and more environmentally friendly than others. That’s because bamboo grows easily and doesn’t require the use of harsh chemicals. This also means bamboo towels are hypoallergenic for people with skin sensitivities, and the towels maintain the antibacterial properties of bamboo.
- Microfiber Towels: Microfiber is made from manmade fibers which are split at the ends in order to create a highly absorbent material. This process gives microfiber towels an oddly soft and smooth feeling against the skin. And because the fibers are man-made, microfiber tends to be stronger and longer-lasting than cheap cotton towels. However, microfiber does create a thin towel that might not feel as luxurious against the skin.
Bath Towel Sizes
After you’ve decided which material you like most for your towels, you’ll need to decide which bath towel sizes you need. These can be split into five different groups, with bath sheets as the largest and washcloths as the smallest. Typically, when replacing your bathroom linens, you can purchase towel sets with a combination of various sizes.
- Bath Sheet: Bath sheets are essentially oversized bath towels that will make you feel like a king every time you step out of the shower. They’re great for keeping you warm or for covering larger bodies. Bath sheets generally measure more than 35 inches wide by more than 60 inches long.
- Bath Towel: A bath towel is what you would normally use to dry yourself after a bath or a shower. These are available in a variety of sizes, but they usually measure between 25 and 30 inches wide and between 50 and 60 inches long.
- Hand Towel: Hand towels are both functional and decorative. They’re designed for drying hands after washing and usually hang beside the bathroom sink. Therefore, you should ensure your hand towel is big enough to handle your entire household yet attractive enough to sit out in the open in your bathroom. These types of towels commonly measure 16 to 18 inches wide by 28 to 30 inches long.
- Finger Towel: Finger towels are similar to hand towels but slightly smaller and more decorative. They are made to sit next to a sink for quickly drying your fingers, and they are particularly useful if you don’t have somewhere to hang a hand towel. Finger towels have a standard width and length of 11 by 18 inches.
- Washcloth: Slightly different from the rest of the towels on our list, washcloths are not meant for drying. Instead, they are to be used wet with soap to clean your body. These “towels” generally stay in the shower or bathtub, drying only between uses. They can also be used for cleaning the bathroom if necessary. A typical washcloth measures 13 by 13 inches.
How To Choose the Best Bath Towels:
So what are we looking for in the best bath towels? We’re looking for bath towels that get you dry quickly, are reasonably priced, can survive multiple trips through the washing machine, and dry in a reasonable amount of time. Plus, they should be soft. Like, really soft.
So what are the best, most absorbent towels? We’ve picked out some of the best on Amazon
1. JML Microfiber Bath Towel
If you’re looking for highly absorbent towels to match your bathroom decor, there’s sure to be a set of these JML Microfiber Bath Towels to do the job. Customers on Amazon can choose from over 20 colors. Each towel is made from 100% microfiber fabric, giving it a lightweight feel and ensuring it’s always highly absorbent. In addition, these towels are highly versatile and can be used in bathrooms, at the pool, in the gym or even for yoga.
PROS: These lightweight, microfiber towels come in over 20 colors, meaning there’s likely a version to match your bathroom decor.
CONS: The microfiber fabric of these towels may be less comfortable against the skin than 100% cotton.
2. Everplush Diamond Jacquard Bath Towels
These affordable towels have everything you’re looking for in a resort-style towel. They’re quick-drying, super absorbent, long-lasting, and designed with an ultra-plush fabric. These towels will absorb 8x their weight in water thanks to a microfiber construction. Everplush Diamond Jacquard Bath Towels are made with a cotton blend (40% cotton, 12% polyamide, 48% polyester). We like this 6-piece set, which contains two oversized bath towels perfect for wrapping around your wet body after a hot shower. First-time use can result in some leftover lint on your wet skin, so customers may want to wash these towels before use.
PROS: These towels are quick drying, super absorbent, durable and made from super plush fabric that feels delightful on the skin.
CONS: First-time use can result in some leftover lint on your wet skin, so customers may want to wash these towels before use.
3. Chakir Turkish Linens Bath Towel Set
With a mix of natural bamboo fiber and superior Turkish cotton, this Chakir Turkish Linens Ultra Bamboo Bath Towel Set is both impressively soft and absorbent. The bamboo fibers are mildew-resistant, anti-bacterial and odor-resistant. The set is available in a range of colorful options, including green, blue and red. You’ll also find the towels become softer with every wash. Plus, the set includes a 30-day money back guarantee if you aren’t happy with the quality.
PROS: With a mix of cotton and bamboo fibers, this quality towel set is more mildew resistant, more odor resistant and has better anti-bacterial properties than 100% cotton towels.
CONS: You may feel that these towels aren’t as soft as normal, new towels, but they will get progressively more comfortable with every wash.
4. SALBAKOS Luxury Hotel and Spa Bath Towels
If you’re looking for the feeling of being wrapped in a cloud after you step out of the shower, we recommend the SALBAKOS Luxury Hotel and Spa Bath Towels. Made from 100% Turkish cotton, the SALBAKOS rate highly on absorbency and softness, weighing a full pound more than their competitors. Measuring at 27″ x 54″, the SALBAKOS towels are on average two inches longer than competitors, giving you a towel that you can fully wrap yourself in for the ultimate in comfort and quick absorbency. Free from harmful chemicals and pesticides, the towels have been equipped with hems that are double stitched for added durability.
PROS: Created from 100% Turkish cotton, these are some of the softest bath towels you’ll ever feel.
CONS: The added length of these towels, which ensures everyone can wrap them around their body, means they might be harder to store when not in use.
5. Cotton Paradise Cotton Bath Sheet
As noted above, bath sheets are still bath towels but much larger than normal. This Cotton Paradise towel falls into that category. It measures an incredible 40 by 80 inches, offering a true spa-like experience. In addition, this towel is made from 100% ringspun cotton for a soft feel and a durable build. You’re sure to love the size of this towel, just be sure to machine wash it a few times before use to get rid of the lint.
PROS: This bath sheet boasts a large 40 by 80 inch size, allowing you to wrap it around multiple people if need be.
CONS: The size means this towel can be quite heavy when fully wet, and it may need to be line dried for a bit before placing it in a tumble drier.
6. Superior Egyptian Cotton Solid Towel Set
This Egyptian cotton towel set offers opulent comfort thanks to its 900 GSM weight. In addition, Superior has used a double ply construction on these towels to make them incredibly strong and absorbent yet super soft. You’ll feel like you’re staying in a hotel each time you get out of the shower or bath. Plus, each Egyptian cotton towel in this set of two is incredibly easy to care for as they are machine washable with colors that won’t fade. Grab a pair to easily upgrade your bathroom from old and boring to new and exciting.
PROS: These towels are made from 900 GSM weight Egyptian cotton, giving them a premium feel you rarely find outside of hotels.
CONS: The heavy weight build of this towel set means that it’s super absorbent but it won’t dry as quickly as some other towels on this list.
7. Maura Premium Ultra Absorbent Bath Towels
The Maura Premium 100% Cotton Ultra Absorbent Quick Dry Soft White Terry Bath Towels have a little bit of everything. The towels are medium weight, which makes for faster a drying time. Made from a textured, two-ply cotton, the towels are extra-absorbent and durable, with a double stitched hem that allows them to stand up after many washes. Our team loves that the towels have been OEKO-TEX certified, which means that everything from the dye of the towel to the fabric has been tested and is free from over 300 harmful substances that are sometimes found in towels. True, these Maura bath towels don’t have the same luxurious softness as other towels, but we do love that they don’t leave any lint or fuzz on your body and are light enough to travel with you.
PROS: The double stitched hem and medium weight cotton ensure these are some of the most durable towels on our list.
CONS: These towels don’t have the same luxurious fluffiness as other thick, 100% cotton options.
8. White Classic Luxury Bath Towels
If you want that five-star hotel feel in your own home every day of the week, invest in these White Classic Luxury Bath Towels. They are spun from a luxurious700 GSM long-staple circlet Egyptian cotton, which provides softness that’s hard to beat. The high-quality fiber is also incredibly absorbent. With each towel measuring 27″ by 5″, you’re sure to have enough cover for a comfortable rest after a relaxing shower or bath. While these bath towels are available in other colors, the classic white is our top choice. These absorbent towels have a durable design that will stand up to repeated trips through the laundry.
PROS: As these towels are spun from soft Egyptian cotton, they offer a luxuriousness that’s hard to beat.
CONS: Because these towels shed a lot of lint, you will need to wash them several times before use.
9. Classic Turkish Towels Luxury Ribbed Bath Sheets
Get ready to feel pampered thanks to the Classic Turkish Towels Ribbed Bath Sheets. The towels in this set of three are made with a jacquard weave using 100% high-quality combed cotton. Because of this, they’re both durable and super soft, making them some of the best luxury towels on the market. Each cotton towel in the set boasts double stitched finishing so it won’t fray, and they can be machine washed for ease of care. Finally, the ribbed pattern of these towels lends itself to absorbency and exfoliation.
PROS: These extra large, combed cotton Turkish towels are both durable and super soft with a jacquard weave that makes them feel like they’re straight out of a spa.
CONS: Some people may not like the feel of the ribbed, jacquard weave against their skin.
10. Pinzon Egyptian Cotton Bath Towel Set
Bath towels are typically measured in grams per square meter between 300 and 900. This Pinzon Egyptian Cotton Bath Towel Set falls exactly in the middle at 600 GSM, making it the Goldilocks of bath towels. The medium weight cotton lends itself to situations where an absorbent yet quick drying towel is needed. Furthermore, these six towels of varying sizes are made from premium Egyptian cotton which has been ringspun for a soft yet polished finish. In this set, you’ll receive two bath towels, two hand towels and two washcloths.
PROS: This set of premium Egyptian cotton towels comes with three different sizes for all your washing and drying needs.
CONS: The medium weight of these towels may not be heavy enough for some people who may be used to hotel-standard bath towels.
11. Welhome Franklin 100% Cotton Textured Towel
Probably the most stylish towels on our list, the Welhome Franklin 100% cotton textured towel is made using an intricate pique weave for a contemporary look. This weave also means these towels have little to no lint, even if you don’t wash them before use. Plus, the cotton towels feature a 600 GSM weight for great absorbency with the ability to dry quickly. Perhaps our favorite thing about this product is the colors in which the towels are available. The muted tones can be mixed and matched or used as a single color set with most bathroom decor.
PROS: The colors in which Welhome produce these Franklin towels are easy on the eye and match well with various types of bathroom decor.
CONS: The waffle texture created by the pique weave might be hard to get used to if you regularly use ringspun towels.