Whether your yard is your pride and joy, or you simply don’t want to be the house on the block that brings down everyone’s property value, a great-looking lawn starts at the bottom. Literally. Fertilizer is paramount to keeping your lawn healthy but spreading fertilizer can be cumbersome and physically grueling. That is unless you have a fertilizer spreader.
A fertilizer spreader can be used on several types of lawns, including new lawns that need seeding or existing lawns that require some TLC. A fertilizer spreader can spread fertilizer that helps get rid of bugs and it can even be used in colder months to spread salt on icy driveways and walkways.
Fertilizer should always be spread on freshly cut lawn and it’s important to follow the instructions for each individual fertilizer brand. The type of fertilizer spreader you want for your lawn largely depends on the size of your outdoor space and how much money you want to invest in your new equipment. Fertilizer spreaders can be carried by hand, pushed like a lawn mower, or attached to a tractor, ATV or riding lawn mower.
- Hand-powered spreader: Ideal for smaller yards. Also a good option for anyone with limited storage space.
- Broadcast spreader: Also known as a rotary spreader, this style is good for medium to large-sized lawns. The spreader shoots fertilizer out in all directions and covers an ample amount of ground at once. There are some smaller broadcast and rotary spreaders that work for small yards, but customers may want to avoid this style if they have a large patio in their yard since the spreaders have a wide shooting radius, which may result in lots of sweeping fertilizer off pavers or decks. It’s also important to overlap each pass when using a broadcast spreader to ensure there are no empty spots on your lawn.
- Drop Spreader: A broadcast spreader is great for covering lots of ground quickly, but for a more precise option, there are drop spreaders. A drop spreader looks similar to a push lawnmower and has a bucket that holds fertilizer. Users push the spreader and the fertilizer is dropped directly below the spreader, making it easy to concentrate fertilizer in areas that are in extra need of TLC.
The Beste fertilizer spreaders typically have a rate of flow and scatter pattern that can be adjusted to ensure you’re getting the coverage you want. Keep the impeller parallel to the ground when using any kind of spreader to ensure an even spread and maintain a consistent walking pace. And don’t forget to close the hopper before adding your fertilizer so that it doesn’t pass directly through the spreader and end up on the ground in one big clump.
We’ve rounded up the best fertilizer spreaders to help get lawns of any size looking healthy.
1. Scotts Elite Spreader
For an affordable fertilizer spreader that can handle medium and large lawns, it’s tough to beat the Scotts Elite Spreader. The Elite is a broadcast spreader that holds up to 20,000 square feet of fertilizer and has never-flat 10” tires. Using dual rotor technology, the Elite has an impressive amount of accuracy and can be used with weed killer, feed, seed, and salt for ice. Assembly is minimal and the Elite features an ergonomic handle with a convenient smartphone holder.
2. Agri-Fab 130-Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader
GOOD FOR BIG YARDS
If you already own a riding lawnmower or small tractor, you likely have a big yard that needs ample fertilizer coverage. Take on large jobs with the Agri-Fab 130-Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader. The Agri-Fab can handle 25,000 square feet of coverage or 1/2 an acre. The broadcast-style spreader has an impressive 10 to 12-foot spread and a wide wheelbase that can tackle tough and uneven terrain. The gearbox is enclosed and can be removed for maintenance and a steel rod flow control is easy to open and shut. A universal hitch fit that works for most mowers and tractors and minimal assembly requirements make the Agri-Fab a great option.
3. Chapin 150 lb Tow Behind Spreader
FEATURES AUTO STOP
Another excellent option for large yards is the Chapin 150 lb Tow Behind Spreader. Coming in slightly bigger than the Agri-Fab, the Chapin has a 150-pound capacity and an auto-stop dual impeller that will stop spreading seed and feed when the unit is no longer in motion. The durable, heavy-duty spreader can be hitched to a riding lawnmower, ATV, or tractor and features oil impregnated bronze bearings that will keep the friction on the axle and gearbox to a minimum. Made in the US, the Chapin has wide tread 14” pneumatic tires and 11 incremental gate adjustment settings to get the most accurate spread for each job.
4. Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader
BEST AUTOMATIC HAND SPREADER
Even small yards require time and attention, which is why we like the Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader. The lightweight broadcast spreader has an impressive max 5-foot range and includes a dial that has 23 settings for increased accuracy. The Wizz can cover up to 2,500 square feet and be used with lawn seed, weed control, and fertilizer. The Wizz is powered by four AA batteries and weighs only 2 pounds before fertilizer is added.
5. Scotts Whirl Hand-Powered Spreader
BEST FOR SMALL YARDS
If you only have a small yard or need to treat a small space in your yard that is struggling with growth or insects, the Scotts Whirl Hand-Powered Spreader is an affordable and useful option. The Whirl can hold up to 1,500 square feet of lawn products and is designed to give yards smooth and even coverage. An adjustable arm supporter and large, easy-to-use crank make it simple and comfortable to spread seed and feed. We also like using the Whirl for spreading salt on walkways during colder months.
6. Buyers Products ATVS100 ATV All-Purpose Broadcast Spreader
BEST FOR ATVS
Put your ATV to work with a broadcast spreader that is designed to last. The Buyers Products ATVS100 ATV All-Purpose Broadcast Spreader has a 100-pound capacity that is great for seed and feed. The ATVS100 has a durable and rustproof poly hopper, an enclosed 12V mounted motor, and a manual feed gate regulator. A rain cover is included to help customers take care of their lawn even in inclement weather.
Buyers Products ATVS100 ATV All-Purpose Broadcast Spreader
$279.99 38% Off
Get the Best Lawn on the Block With the Best Garden Hoses of 2022