For the best indoor air quality, you should ensure you have one of the best furnace filters. Furnace filters work inside your furnace to catch airborne particles, including dust, debris, lint, pollen and pet dander, which makes them useful to everyone, especially if you have allergies. While you could use the cheapest filter in your furnace, sourcing the best furnace filter for your home will improve your daily environment and help you breathe better.
It’s always important to replace your furnace filter regularly for the best results and to ensure it stays clean. In addition, a dirty filter slows down airflow which makes the system work harder and, in turn, wastes energy.
Here are a few key features to look for when selecting the best furnace filter for you.
- MERV – This abbreviation stands for Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value and is an industry standard to rate a filter’s efficacy on a scale of one to 16.
- MPR – The higher the Micro-Particle Performing Rating (MPR), the more micro-particles, such as pollen, pet dander and smoke, the filter will capture as air passes through it. This rating can range from 300-1900.
- Pleats – Your filter should have a pleated material in place to provide more surface area for trapping more particles.
- Size – It’s extremely important to know which size furnace filter you need for your furnace as there are many options available. The dimensions of the filter you need to buy should be printed on the side of the one already in place. Alternatively, use a good, old tape measure.
- Thickness – Standard filters are generally one or two inches thick. However, some models are three inches and can be up to five inches. Most brands will ensure that the thickness of the filter is printed on the frame for ease of information.
- Lifespan – It’s generally suggested that you change your filter every 60 to 90 days during normal weather and increase the frequency to every 30 days during the summer and winter months when your unit will be working hardest. Some filters may have a slightly longer lifespan.
We’ve compiled a list of the best furnace filters for you based on a 16″ x 25″ x 1″ measurement. We’ve also mostly included packs of six for ease of comparison.
1. Aerostar Home Max Pleated Air Filter 6-Pack
Aerostar prides itself on their MERV 13 filters. That’s because they are comparable to MPR 1500-1900 and FPR 10 filters. These furnace filters are made with an electrostatically charged synthetic material that draws and captures allergens for superior filtration efficiency. For a healthier home with improved air quality, you can use Aerostar filters to capture allergens, including lint, dust mites, mold spores and pollen.
2. FilterBuy Pleated HVAC Furnace Air Filter 4-Pack
These FilterBuy Pleated Air Filters are made in the USA and manufactured using 100% American-made components. They can trap 90% of airborne particles which means you can say goodbye to dust, debris, pollen and pet dander, and say hello to better indoor air quality. As an added bonus, the frames on these filters are made of beverage board which stays rigid in high humidity and in temperatures up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Filtrete BD01 AC Furnace Air Filter 6-Pack
BEST REPLACEMENT REMINDER
To ensure you never forget to change your furnace filter, Filtrete has created an app that you can download to your phone and use for replacement reminders. Simply scan the barcode on your filter’s packaging, then choose 30, 60 or 90 days. Once the select lifespan of your filter is up, you’ll get a notification straight to your phone to let you know it’s time to change your filter. All you have to do then is pop onto Amazon and buy one of these quality filters.
4. BOOGUAN Pleated Furnace Air Filter 6-Pack
BEST UNIVERSALLY COMPATIBLE
This BOOGUAN filter stays strong through humidity and temperatures up to 180 degrees Fahrenheit with its moisture-resistant, clay-coated frame. It also has a pleated material design for a greater surface area, meaning more air coverage and a better capture capacity to ensure your air is always clean. BOOGUAN has incorporated advanced technology for low initial resistance as this requires less energy consumption, resulting in lower operating costs and higher energy savings.
5. AIRx DUST Pleated Air Filter 6-Pack
BEST FOR DUST
AIRx offers a range of specialized filters with different focuses, including Allergy, Health and Dust. They’re confident that using this AIRx DUST Pleated Air Filter furnace filter will give you the best results for dramatically reducing the dust and pollen throughout your home. Airx is a member of the National Air Filtration Association (NAFA) and is committed to manufacturing products to maintain a clean and healthy indoor environment.
6. NaturalAire Standard Air Filter 12-Pack
Housed in a recyclable, clay-coated, moisture-resistant frame, the NaturalAire MERV 8 filter can capture particles as small as one micron and is effective against contaminants, including pet dander, pollen, dust and mold spores. The pleated media provides a large surface area for more effective filtration while still allowing a clear airflow. Each NaturalAire filter maintains its efficiency for up to 90 days.
7. K&N Washable Furnace Air Filter
You can save your cents (or spend them on something slightly more exciting) by investing in this washable furnace filter from K&N. With guaranteed quality and only the best premium materials, these furnace filters have been designed to reduce contaminants in the air you breathe. When it’s time for a clean filter, simply take this one outside and hose it down before reinserting it into your furnace. Save money, breathe better and help the environment.