Endless hours of cuddles, games and friendship are some of the best things about being a pet owner. Endless hours of cleaning up the mess and pet hair are not. To avoid wasting precious playtime on brushing, scrubbing and vacuuming for longer than necessary, you need the best vacuum for pet hair.
Having to brush the occasional pet hair off your clothes is one thing; having to constantly clean your furniture is another. Most models of pet hair vacuum come with specifically designed attachments to capture pet hair and pull them from both soft and hard surfaces. How these attachments are stored and the different heights they can reach, depends on the type of vacuum. Here are the four most popular styles:
- Upright Vacuum – Ideal for larger surfaces and adaptable to both hard floors and carpets, upright vacuums are usually the most powerful in terms of suction. A circulating brush located horizontally in the main foot works to loosen and capture debris and pet hair. The dirt collected is stored in a central bin which is sometimes lined by a disposable bag, but most often the compartment is designed to be emptied straight into the trash.
- Handheld Vacuum – As the most portable type of vacuum, handheld vacuums are often cordless. They feature a smaller nozzle and are great for cleaning harder-to-reach corners and crevices. If your furry friend finds itself in the car from time to time, then having a handheld vacuum ready to tackle the seat upholstery is a must.
- Stick Vacuum – With the height convenience of an upright vacuum and the portability of a handheld, a stick vacuum is a hybrid between the two. They’re ideal for sucking up crumbs and pet dander from surfaces throughout the house, and they can be easily emptied to get ready for round two.
- Robotic Vacuum – Robot vacuums lead the vacuum market in terms of advanced technology. Once you’ve set the sensor boundaries and programmed the settings, these little machines will do the rest for you. Certain models empty and charge themselves, too. Plus, some are specifically designed to target pet hair.
If you’re tired of dealing with oodles of excess pet hair (especially if you’re allergy-prone), here are nine vacuums that really suck — in a good way.
1. Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Handheld Vacuum
With a handy 16-foot power cord and a cyclonic cleaning system, the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Handheld Vacuum is ideal for upholstery, stairs and other hard-to-reach areas. It has over 14,000 Amazon reviews and a 4.5-star rating, which is proof of the customer satisfaction experienced by those who own this vacuum. It also features a specialized rubber nozzle tip, which helps pull hair and dirt out of targeted surfaces with ease.
2. BLACK+DECKER Handheld Vacuum
Although not specifically designed for pet hair, the BLACK+DECKER Handheld Vacuum is a clever, compact and cordless cleaning tool that can tackle all types of dander and debris, including pet hair. The bagless design features a 12.5-ounce, translucent dirt bowl which gives a clear view. This way, you can see when it’s full and in need of emptying. Additionally, a wall-mounted charging port is included which provides an out-of-the-way and easy grab-and-go storage solution.
3. Shark Pet Perfect Cordless Hand Vacuum
Extra powerful and also cordless, the Shark Pet Perfect Cordless Hand Vacuum features a motorized brush that is designed specifically to collect pet hair. With a powerful, rechargeable battery and a removable dust cup, this is an extremely convenient model and clearly one of the best vacuums for pet hair. Additionally, the comfortable handle and light weight make it a portable solution for cleaning around the home, a car or pretty much anywhere you want to take it.
4. Eureka Blaze Swivel Lightweight Stick Vacuum Cleaner
The Eureka Blaze Swivel Lightweight Stick Vacuum Cleaner transforms through three styles of cleaning machine, so you can select the best suited to your target area. With a few simple clicks and switches, you can be vacuuming with an upright model, a handheld version or a hybrid of the two. This three-in-one vacuum features a swivel-steering design, meaning it can take on more crevices with its powerful suction than many others. Great for carpet, hardwood and all those tight areas, this is one seriously comprehensive vacuum.
5. VacLife Handheld Vacuum
BEST FOR CARS
Not only is the VacLife Handheld Vacuum a cordless wonder for picking up pet hair, but it also works great for tighter areas, like in between your car seats. Two attachments are included, namely a brush tool for loosening hairs and a nozzle designed for digging deep into crevices. Plus, a bright LED light illuminates when the powerful little machine is in use, which makes it a useful tool in dark or low-light environments, such as the garage.
6. MOOSOO Cordless Vacuum for Pet Hair
Although slightly bigger than many other styles or portable pet hair vacuums, the MOOSOO Cordless Vacuum for Pet Hair is a versatile piece of household machinery. It’s powered by a long-lasting battery that takes under six hours to charge. Once full, you can be vacuuming for up to 28 minutes. Unlike most vacuum cleaners, this model has color options, so you can choose from either blue or red to highlight the grey exterior of the device.
7. Hoover MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel Vacuum
For removal of the toughest pet hair, you need the Hoover MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel Vacuum. The multiple setup options provide a powerful clean in hard-to-reach areas and heights of up to 13 feet. An allergen filtration system, which captures 99% of dust and pet dander, is integrated into the swivel head of the vacuum. Plus, the LED headlights ensure you can see exactly where any debris and pet hair are hiding.
8. iRobot Roomba 674 Robot Vacuum
BEST ROBOT VACUUM
While your pet can’t clean up its own hair, the next best thing is having a robot vacuum that can. The iRobot Roomba 674 Robot Vacuum is one of the best of its kind when it comes to removing pet hair from carpets and hard floors. It can also sense where the hair is located with its advanced dirt-detecting sensors. Alternatively, partner the vacuum with Alexa or Google Assistant to activate the voice control feature which allows you to tell it exactly where to clean and when.
9. Dyson V8 Animal Cordless Stick Vacuum
As one of the world’s leading vacuum brands, it’s no wonder Dyson has created one of the best vacuums for pet hair. After four hours of charging, the Dyson V8 Animal Cordless Stick Vacuum is ready for up to 40 minutes of collecting debris and pet hair from your floor. Furthermore, if you want a power boost, you can utilize the max mode, which lasts for up to eight minutes at a time. To ensure a hygienic and dirt-free experience when emptying the bin compartment, a clever clasp design allows for a no-touch-needed release.