There are so many reasons why investing in a portable heater is one of the best ideas you’ll have this winter. Staying cozy inside should be on the top of your to-do list throughout the colder months because no one wants to have freezing hands, feet or anything else for that matter.
Sometimes our home’s central heating systems just can’t create the warmth we’re after quickly enough. This is where a portable space heater becomes the best investment.
There’s also the energy-saving and cost-reduction benefits to consider, too. Portable heaters allow you to cut down on your expensive-to-run central heating and to only heat the areas of the house where people are at any given moment.
However, portable heaters do have drawbacks. These include their tendency to overheat and their use of electricity. So, when buying a portable heater this winter, make sure you’re buying one a well-reviewed device. Here are a few things to consider before buying your heater.
- Safety – Most portable space heaters will shut off automatically once the temperature inside reaches approximately 150 degrees Fahrenheit. Many also have fall protection to ensure they shut off if they fall over. These are two extremely important features of any portable heater.
- Modes – You may find that your portable heater comes with set modes for easy use. However, some of the more advanced heaters may also include a thermostat which will allow for a precise temperature setting.
- Portability – How portable your heater is will depend on its weight, shape and overall design. Many models have a handle for easier carrying, and some may even have wheels depending on size. The energy it runs on will also decide whether it has any wires that need a plug or not.
- Rapid Heating – Depending on what you’re planning to use your portable heater for, you might want to be aware of how quickly it will heat up. Some models can heat up in under five seconds.
- Noise – Some portable heaters are noisier than others, and when buying online, it can be difficult to know which ones are. However, the best portable heaters will mention the decibel level at which they operate, so you know exactly what your ears should expect.
We’ve searched Amazon and The Home Depot for the best portable space heaters. Be sure to get yours soon, and get ready to keep warm during the winter months ahead.
1. Air Choice Portable Space Heater
There’s no need to think about preheating with the Air Choice Portable Space Heater, as it’ll be ready to keep you toasty within three seconds of switching it on. By using PTC heating technology, it’s able to start warming the air around you both indoors and outdoors very quickly. This electric heater comes with three built-in modes and is the ideal fiery friend to invest in for the winter months.
2. AmazonBasics Ceramic Personal Heater
Created by none other than Amazon, this AmazonBasics Ceramic Personal Heater is ideal for anyone looking for a compact and colorful solution to keeping warm. It’s available in blue, black, pink and white and is smaller than a six-inch cube. It also features a sturdy base with built-in tip-over protection for extra safety. Rather than using forced air heating, this little heater uses a naturally conductive ceramic element, so that it can safely and effectively operate in small environments.
3. Gladle Portable Space Heater
Featuring a fun and funky design, the Gladle Portable Space Heater will give any space a blast of heat and style. Equipped with PTC technology, this portable heater is both efficient and energy saving. It can very quietly heat up to 95 degrees Fahrenheit, but then it’ll be slightly louder to reach its highest temperature of 206 degrees Fahrenheit. Two knobs on either side allow you to control the temperature and the power for a fully customizable heating experience.
4. Dr Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater
BEST WHEELED HEATER
When it comes to portable heaters, we at SPY find it’s hard to top Dr Infrared’s latest. Not only is this thing damn good looking (which is saying something for a portable heater), but it’s incredibly easy to use. It boasts a heat output that can range anywhere from 50 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit, wheels for easy maneuvering and can even an included remote for the sloth in us all. And best yet? It’s incredibly quiet. In fact, we love Dr Infrared’s portable space heater so much, we wrote an entire article about it. If you’re only going to get one heater off of our list, this is a great option to pick.
5. Multifun Ceramic Electric Portable Space Heater
One way to ensure that you’ve got the best portable heater is to buy one that’s small, powerful and comes complete with a very handy handle. And, that’s exactly what the Multifun Ceramic Electric Portable Space Heater can offer. It also has a built-in thermostat with a fail-safe design and angled legs for better circulation. Although it is less attractive than other indoor heaters, this one could be used in a garage or out on the porch in dry conditions.
6. MUDSHI Portable Electric Space Heater
The circular design of this MUDSHI Portable Electric Space Heater means that its oscillating motion will never need more floor space than exactly where you put it. It has six built-in modes, including low and high heat settings, along with a fan-only option. To start the heater movement, which can create an oscillation of up to 70 degrees, you can simply press the ‘turn’ button. For an easy to use heater that will heat up a wide portion of a room, choose the MUDSHI Portable Electric Space Heater.
7. Geek Heat Portable Electric Heater with Humidifier
Why have only a portable heater when you could have a portable heater and humidifier all in one? This air altering design from Geek Heat combines all the warming power of a portable space heater with the moisture providing technology of a humidifier. Both features of this device can work independently or in hybrid happiness at the same time, too. This is great news for people who suffer from frequent dryness during the winter months or hate the extra dry air usually provided by space heaters.
8. Texsport Portable Outdoor Propane Heater
You can take this Texsport Portable Outdoor Heater with you just about anywhere, as it runs off propane cylinders and not electricity like many other heaters that would need a nearby plug. The cylinders can be sourced from your local camping shop or similar. For safety, this heater has a large paddle foot base to keep it sturdy and a shut-off valve for if the flames go out. For campers, hunters and outdoorsmen, there’s no better portable heater than the Texsport Propane Heater.
9. Trustech Portable Electric Heater
BEST TILT ROTATION
With the Trustech Portable Electric Heater, the angle at which you want your heater to project warmth depends on exactly where you want heat. Tilt rotation heaters like this one give you the ability to point your heater at any angle, whether that’s up or down up to 90 degrees. The Trustech Portable Electric Heater also has a built-in handle and is compact in size to ensure that you can take it anywhere with ease.
10. Dyna-Glo Convection Propane Tower Portable Heater
The Dyna-Glo Convection Propane Tower is industrial both in style and in nature. The 360-degree metallic casing allows for heat to be released in all directions. It’s the ideal portable heater for outdoor and indoor construction use due to its heavy-duty design. But just because it’s portable doesn’t mean it can’t heat a large space. The 50,000 to 80,000 BTUs can actually fill up to 2,000 square feet with toasty warmth. Just be sure to only use it in an area with proper ventilation for your safety.
11. Hampton Bay Powder Coated Propane Patio Heater
Some portable heaters are designed to sit on the floor, while others can sit on the table. The Hampton Bay Bronze Tabletop Propane Patio Heater is very much the latter. In fact, it’s built to keep you and your BBQ guests chatting into the dark of night while staying plenty warm. The use of propane cylinders for energy ensures there are no wires attached with this portable heater, so you can keep it on your patio or take it on your next camping getaway.
12. Mr. Heater Hunting Buddy Portable Space Heater
Do you need a hunting buddy? Or just a new portable heater to keep you warm? Either way, Mr. Heater is here for you and ready to raise the temperature of the space around you. This portable heater has a built-in safety shut off in case of any knocks, and it can run off a remote gas supply or a propane cylinder, meaning you can take it with you anywhere and everywhere. The handle makes it easy to carry, and the plastic housing keeps your skin safe from burns if you accidentally bump it.