The most impressive Halloween decorating begins right when you step into the front yard. It continues all the way through the house and even out into the backyard, delivering a truly immersive and potentially terrifying experience for guests and trick-or-treaters to enjoy. To achieve the goal of becoming the household the whole neighbourhood is talking about, you’re going to need the best Halloween yard decorations.
By starting your Halloween decorating in the front yard, you’ll be able to catch the attention of passersby and give trick-or-treaters a little taste of what they can expect when they come to your door. With some of these key items in your arsenal, it’s easy to transform your pristine front lawn into a gruesome graveyard full of frightful zombies and other ghostly ghouls:
- Signs – Signs are a particularly useful and budget-friendly way to decorate your yard for Halloween. Rarely will they set you back more than $20 and they come attached to an easily installed stake, making it simple to secure them into the ground. You’ll find a range of Halloween characters as well as headstones and creepy messages to encourage trick-or-treaters to come to the door.
- Lights – Traditional fairy lights are available in Halloween colours, like orange, black and purple. Alternatively, there are plenty of alternative lighting options, including torches on stands, lanterns and artificial pumpkins with light-up faces. Whichever you choose, having Halloween-themed lighting in your yard is a must.
- Characters – Classic Halloween characters such as witches, ghosts, zombies and cats should play a leading role in any Halloween yard set up. There is a huge range of creepy characters to choose from, including life-size skeletons, famous movie villains and even small zombie garden gnomes.
- Inflatables – The quick set up, user-friendly aspects and sizable payoff of Halloween inflatables make them a firm favourite amongst Halloween decor enthusiasts. They usually come with integrated lights for nighttime illumination and are a great way to ensure your yard is truly hard to miss.
Halloween is truly one of the best times of year to enjoy festivities and comprehensively decorate your home. On top of this, it’s also the best time of year to throw a fancy dress party for all your family and friends. A convincing and eye-catching Halloween costume is a great way to complete a memorable occasion.
Below we’ve rounded up nine of the best Halloween yard decorations to spook your neighbours and let you join in with the festive fun. You’ll find decorations of all different sizes, styles and levels of scariness to ensure you can cover every area of your yard.
1. JOYIN Halloween Outdoor Decorations
The JOYIN Halloween Outdoor Decoration set includes a range of classic Halloween-inspired signs which can transform your standard yard into a fun and creepy ghost town. Cartoony and colorful witches, ghosts and pumpkins are just three of the durable cutout designs featured in the pack. Additionally, the set contains a total of nine pieces, each of which measures between five and 18 inches tall and comes complete with a handy stake for secure mounting in your lawn or garden.
JOYIN Halloween Outdoor Decorations
2. Ghostbusters Stay Puft Halloween Inflatable
BEST FOR MOVIE LOVERS
At a whopping 10 feet tall, this Ghostbusters Stay Puft Halloween Inflatable is capable of having a huge impact on any size yard. This character, taken from the original 1984 Ghostbusters movie, comes complete with an attached trick-or-treating tote and also includes white lights to keep this Halloween monster illuminated through the night. It’s a fun way to celebrate Halloween movie nostalgia and make a whole new generation of trick-or-treaters aware of the iconic character’s origins, ready for the release of the Ghostbusters: Afterlife reboot.
Ghostbusters Stay Puft Halloween Inflatable
3. Calloway Mills Scary Web Coir Doormat
BEST DOOR MAT
If a full festive transformation isn’t for you this year, or even if it is, then this Calloway Mills Scary Web Coir Door Mat could be the choice for you. When Halloween comes around, switch out your everyday doormat for this one to deliver just a touch of Halloween creepiness. The spider web-covered mat is constructed from a tough and durable coir. It also features a rubber backing to keep it in place, making it a fun and functional Halloween addition to your home.
Read More: Scary Halloween Decorations
Calloway Mills Scary Web Coir Doormat
4. Home Accents Holiday Tall Gargantuan Spider
Even the mildest arachnophobe may find themselves having trouble when coming face to face with the Home Accents Holiday Tall Gargantuan Spider. At 5.5 feet tall, this monster can cast an imposing shadow in any yard and let visitors know what it feels like to meet the giant spider from their nightmares. To complete its scary appeal, it features accompanying hissing sounds, light-up eyes and posable legs, for an all-around terrifying presence.
Read More: The Best Halloween Decorations
Editor’s Note: This product is temporarily out of stock.
Home Accents Holiday Tall Gargantuan Spider
5. KYEKIO Solar Lights Outdoor Torches
These KYEKIO Solar Lights Outdoor Torches are a fun way to illuminate pathways during the night. Each set includes eight torches that are solar-powered and cordless, meaning they can be placed anywhere in your yard. After eight hours of sunlight, the torches can stay lit for up to 10 hours. Each torch is also fully waterproof, so there’s no need to worry about leaving them outside during bad weather. Additionally, thanks to their non-specific Halloween look, these flickering-flame torches can also be used during other parts of the year, too.
Read More: Large Halloween Decorations
KYEKIO Solar Lights Outdoor Torches
6. Home Accents Holiday Halloween Decorative Bone Throne
BEST PORCH FURNITURE
This Home Accents Holiday Halloween Decorative Bone Throne is an ideal piece for placing inside your covered porch to act as a watching-and-waiting place as guests and trick-or-treaters come by. The bronze-finish chair features a royal red cushion for greater comfort and to help complete its spine-chilling look. The large furniture piece stands five feet tall and is large enough to accommodate most adults. Furthermore, the durable plastic construction makes it suitable for covered outdoor use and indoor use, too.
Read More: Best Cheap Halloween Decorations
Home Accents Holiday Bone Throne
7. FICITI Zombie Walking Dead Gnome Statue
The FICITI Zombie Walking Dead Gnome Statue looks just like a traditional garden gnome in size and shape. However, that’s where the similarities end. This creepy figure features a scary zombie face with dead, one-color eyes and a mouth covered with blood. We’re not exactly sure how the blood got there, but it’s probably best to give this figure a wide berth when strolling through your yard. It’s great as part of a larger scene or as a standalone piece next to your front door.
8. Home Accents Holiday Holiday Giant-Sized Skeleton
This Holiday Giant-Sized Skeleton is the ultimate Halloween party guest. With this creepy life-sized character standing in the middle of your yard, any guest or trick-or-treater approaching your yard is sure to think twice before proceeding to your front door. The decoration also includes animated LCD eyes, which give the appearance of both moving and blinking to further add to its creepy appeal. For ease of use, this function can be controlled by the built-in timer which allows for six hours on and then 18 hours off.
Editor’s Note: This skeleton in particular is an incredibly popular Halloween decoration. As such, it’s frequently sold out so we recommend bookmarking this page and checking back frequently between now and Halloween. If you happen to see it available for purchase, jump on it! It won’t stick around for long.