If you purchase an independently reviewed product or service through a link on our website, SPY.com may receive an affiliate commission.
* Tips and tools to get you started on this popular coffee trend
* Great for anyone who just needs one cup in the morning.
* More environmentally friendly than single serving plastic pod coffee
What’s the latest trend percolating in the coffee world? It’s pour-over coffee. Why is this happening you ask, while slowly tightening your grip on your beloved Keurig? Well, it’s because those plastic pod, single shot coffee makers aren’t very good for the environment. And, pour-over coffee is ideal for anyone who only needs that single cup of coffee to get going in the morning. Also: it tastes amazing, and some people swear that the slower percolation process can actually be kind of meditative, too.
Here’s how to do it:
- Bring water to a boil
- Coarsely grind coffee to taste
- Pour the coffee grounds into your dripper (some drippers require a filter)
- Start pouring the hot water over the grounds using a circular motion – be sure to saturate the grounds
- Use a timer and scale to set the right amount according to your desired taste
- Pour more water in, wait 30-45 seconds as coffee starts to drip
- Repeat once more until your coffee mug is full
Ready to try pouring your coffee differently? Here’s everything you need to get started.
1. Copper Cow Coffee Pour Over Vietnamese Coffee, 5 Pack
Copper Cow Coffee Pour Over Vietnamese Coffee offers a sweet, velvety taste. And, it’s pre-packaged with milk and sugar. Just add hot water for a distinctive buzzy brew ready to sip.
2. White Speckled Ceramic Pour Over Coffee Mug Set
The White Speckled Ceramic Pour Over Coffee Mug Set gives you the dripper and the mug all in one. It’s crafted from ceramic with a speckled finish that gives it a chic handmade vibe.
3. The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee
The “Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee” book is written by one of the country’s most celebrated roasters. You’ll learn how to choose, brew and enjoy the new breed of artisan coffees at home. It details specialized brewing methods and comes with 40 inventive recipes you’ll want to try.
4. Osaka Pour Over Coffee Brewer
The Osaka Pour Over Coffee Brewer lets you make delicious coffee quickly and easily. And, the brilliant hand-blown glass design enables you to maximize the smoother taste that has pour-over coffee enthusiasts raving.
5. Hario Coffee Drip Scale/Timer
Here’s the secret to brewing a truly perfect cup of coffee: The Hario Coffee Drip Scale/Timer features an integrated stopwatch function that allows the coffee weight, amount of water and extraction time to be exactly measured when brewing pour-over coffee. For those who don’t mess around when it comes to coffee.
6. Brass Pour Over Coffee Dripper Stand With Wood Base
Slow-brew coffee aficionados love this Brass Pour Over Coffee Dripper Stand with Wood Base because it has an adjustable, industrial style brass arm and a clear glass cone dripper so you can see your brew as it happens. Makes a great gift, too.
7. Coffee Gator Gooseneck Pour Over Coffee Kettle
Water that’s too hot scorches expensive beans. And, if the water is too cold your coffee won’t brew properly. But, the Coffee Gator Gooseneck Pour Over Coffee Kettle lets you make it just right every time. It features a built-in timer and temperature gauge to eliminate the guesswork for consistently fantastic coffee.