Are you looking for a delicious post-workout smoothie but can’t seem to find one you like? Protein powders can be tricky, but thankfully there are many brands to choose from and dozens of flavors. But first, you should decide what kind of protein you need, want and can digest.
Whey protein is the most common, but it’s not for everyone, and while pea protein is a great alternative, it might not suit everyone’s taste buds. It’s no surprise that vanilla and chocolate are the most common flavors, but there are seasonal choices you can also stock up on. New flavors, such as pumpkin spice and salted caramel, can add some unexpected flavor to your smoothie, especially once you’ve added frozen bananas, strawberries, spirulina, or whatever your favorite recipe calls for.
Types of Protein Powders
- Whey is not vegan because it’s made from milk. However, if that doesn’t bother you, it tastes great, and it provides an ample amount of protein per scoop, depending on the brand you’ve bought. It’s a delicious option for those who can digest it and although it has a chalky taste, isn’t that part of the appeal?
- Pea Protein is made from peas, or more specifically, split yellow legumes. It’s usually green, and it tastes like, yup, you guessed it, peas. When mixed with other flavors such as yogurt, vanilla or chocolate, pea protein can be delicious, and it provides a significant amount of protein per drink.
- Pumpkin Protein is a fairly popular protein source as a vegan option. It has 1.2 grams of protein per cup, which isn’t a lot if you’re looking for at least ten grams for your post-workout shake, making it a tricky option, so it’s usually mixed with pea protein.
- Peanut Butter has about 6 grams of protein per scoop and makes for an excellent tasting shake, especially when mixed with cocoa powder or chocolate almond milk. It’s made from raw peanuts, making it a vegan-friendly option.
Now that you have your info about the different kinds of proteins check out our favorite best-tasting protein powders below and make sure you find your favorite flavor!
1. Naked Nutrition Peanut Butter
You can’t go wrong with peanut butter, and this Naked Nutrition version is vegan: the only ingredient is roasted peanuts. So if you’re looking to change up your flavor game, try some good old peanut butter. Plus, you can add this powder to any waffle or pancake mix for some added protein. With 6 grams of protein per scoop, this has a low protein percentage compared to other brands, but hey, whoever said two scoops was a bad idea? Check out the brand’s additional vegan flavors, from classics such as chocolate and vanilla to more exciting flavors including PB Blueberry and Pumpkin Spice. Still, peanut butter is our first choice.
2. Huel Complete Protein
Best Tasting Pea Protein Powder
Huel is a plant-based protein powder made with pea and brown rice protein that contains everything you need for post-workout bliss in the form of your favorite smoothie. With more essential amino acids per gram than whey Huel is the first nutritionally complete vegan protein powder and has 27 vitamins and minerals. Consider a salted caramel toffee melting in your mouth. Now imagine gulping it down as a smoothie with all the nutrients you need to refuel after a challenging cardio workout or tough gym session. Sounds good, right? The reviews of Huel would agree, citing its tasty flavors and multiple options for recipes, like its vanilla powder mixed with cinnamon, ginger, and pumpkin for what else but a pumpkin spice smoothie this fall. Enjoy your smoothie after you burn calories with Huel’s Salted Caramel flavor.
3. BSN Syntha-6 Cold Stone Birthday Cake Remix
Best Tasting Whey Protein Powder
This whey protein powder isn’t for the faint of heart when it comes to a flavor punch. If you’re a big fan of the birthday cake flavor that has been making its rounds in the protein world, then you owe it to yourself to check out BSN’s whey take on the celebratory favorite to mix it up with your post-workout smoothie. With only 3 grams of added sugar per serving, this is an excellent option for people looking to cut down on the sugar and keep all the good flavor.
Read More: Best Protein Bars
4. Vega Sport Premium Protein Vanilla
Best Tasting Vanilla Protein Powder
Vega is one of the leading vegan brands, and its vanilla protein powder is a delicious plant-based option for those who have trouble with or can’t digest whey protein. Using pea, pumpkin, and organic sunflower seed proteins to support athlete’s post-workout, this non-GMO premium protein has a good blend of amino acids and probiotics. While pea protein might not be every vegan’s favorite plant-based protein, don’t be afraid to dress it up with bananas, blueberries, cinnamon, or whatever strikes your fancy.
Read More: Best Plant-Powered Protein Powders
5. Ascent Native Fuel Whey Protein
Best Tasting Chocolate Protein Powder
Ascent’s chocolate flavored whey protein is near the top of our list for its smooth taste, and if you add ice cubes along with your liquid of choice, it basically turns into a chocolate shake post-workout. You can’t get any better than that. Ascent’s powder includes plenty of amino acids and probiotics to balance out the perfect after-workout good-for-you treat.
6. Garden of Life Organic Vegan Sport Protein Powder
Best Tasting Vegan Protein Powder
The Garden of Life vanilla protein powder is a heavy contender in the vegan market because it just tastes so good. It’s loaded with all the added amino acids, probiotics and pea protein you need to make a balanced smoothie for a nutrition grab after a workout; you won’t be hungry after this one. If you’re not a fan of vanilla, the chocolate flavor from Garden of Life is just as delicious.
7. Ancient Nutrition Plant-Based Protein
Best Tasting Pumpkin Seed Protein Powder
The chocolate flavor from Ancient Nutrition is as tasty as they come. The vegan pumpkin seed protein makes this a unique protein to use in your smoothie, as most brands don’t exclusively use pumpkin seeds. This plant-based protein will shake up your usual routine once you make an organic flaxseed meal and organic hemp seed smoothie.
8. Jocko Molk Whey Protein Pumpkin
Best Tasting Pumpkin Protein Powder
The Jocko Molk pumpkin flavor is sure to be a hit this fall as October creeps upon us quicker than we can even think about it. Your friends will be begging to try your new pumpkin protein powder, and with all the right add-ons like amino acids and probiotics, this protein made from whey is sure to be a big hit among athletes looking for their healthy pumpkin fix.