If you purchase an independently reviewed product or service through a link on our website, SPY.com may receive an affiliate commission.
We can’t play two-handed touch football on the frozen tundra of Lambeau. We’re not allowed to hoop it up at the Boston Garden. We can’t have a catch on the infield at Yankee Stadium.
We can play golf at the same legendary venues on which the greats of the game made history. This is what makes golf unique amongst the major sports. Any amateur player with an adequate game and a thick enough wallet can swing in the footsteps of Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods on the world’s best golf courses.
What ranks a course amongst the world’s top options is a matter of taste. For some golfers, the aesthetics of a beautiful 18 holes are all that matter. Other players want to test their skills on the most challenging tracks. We took multiple factors into consideration to compile this very subjective list of the world’s 10 finest golf courses.
- Pebble Beach Golf Links – Carmel, California
- Whistling Straits – Sheboygan, Wisconsin
- Manele Golf Course – Lanai, Hawaii
- The Old Course – St. Andrews, Scotland
- Cabot Cliffs Cape Breton – Inverness, Nova Scotia
- The Oconee Course – Reynolds Lake, Georgia
- Royal Birkdale Golf Club – Southport, England
- Royal Melbourne Golf Club – Black Rock, Australia
- Royal County Down – Newcastle County Down, Northern Ireland
- Siam Country Club Pattaya Old Course – Pattaya, Thailand
- Honorable Mention: Stoke Park – Buckinghamshire, England
Below, we’ll take you to each of these destinations, with some personal photos from my time on the best golf courses in the world. And if that’s still not enough, I have 10 more golf clubs worth your time.